Woodburning stove owners..

noah's nemo

We just got one to help out with heating( located in living room).It won't be the main source of heat,but will be a big help.I find however,i can't get much heat upstairs.Downstairs will be about 82(pretty warm),the upstairs will get to 66.Any tips for moving the cold air down and warm up.I was thinking of cutting a vent or 2 in the ceiling.Any thoughts.Thanks.......

dragonzim

I dont have one now, but I grew up in a house with one. My father did exactly what you're thinking about. Put a vent in the ceiling over the stove into their bedroom on the second floor. Worked great for their room. Did nothing for mine of course!

noah's nemo

Thanks for the feedback.I just want to make sure it would work(well,the wife mainly
) before i go cutting holes........

coral keeper

Warm air rises, cold air sinks. The vent should work. Also, upgrade to a larger tank, install MH's and that could be a main heater. It is in my house. :p lol Haven't turned on the house heater since I added my 180 gallon with the MH lights. LOL

noah's nemo

Hows that electric bill

About the sinking cold air,i was worried that it would just sink thru the vents,rather than the warm air rising up......but as Zim said,it worked out for his family.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3178281
Hows that electric bill

About the sinking cold air,i was worried that it would just sink thru the vents,rather than the warm air rising up......but as Zim said,it worked out for his family.
Yup, worked out great for us. My dad just put in a plain vent but I've also seen vents with built in fans made specifically for this.

scsinet

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3178241
I dont have one now, but I grew up in a house with one. My father did exactly what you're thinking about. Put a vent in the ceiling over the stove into their bedroom on the second floor. Worked great for their room. Did nothing for mine of course!
I had no idea you were this old...
How did people run their tanks before electricity?

flpriest

You could also turn on the fan to your furnace so it runs continuously, cover the cold air returns in the rooms you want warmer and it'll pull warmer air out of the living room through the cold air return to redistribute the warm air throughout the house. I do this with my house in the summer instead of using the air conditioner. i just block off the cold air returns on the main floor and the cool air gets pulled up from the basement and distributed upstairs.

noah's nemo

I hear ya. I lived in Florida for a few years after high school,but the holidays just don't feel the same when your out surfer Christmas eve
I really did miss the snow