woohoo! got my eel...um.....????

Okay, I got my snowflake eel on sunday. The first couple of days he was kinda of active, hiding but where you could see him. Actually ate too. well, he found a spot under a rock that you can't see, I thought nothing of it. I havent seen him in a few days now...tuesday actually. I went to feed him today and can't find him...hopefully he'll turn up. Are they out at night? Whats the best way to go about feeding them? the first time he was out and about, so he just came accross the krill lying at the bottom and ate it. but what about now? Any other tips or suggestion for this guy?

Was there any openings that he may have squeezed out of when you weren't watching? I have read several posts, unfortunately, where the eel escaped to be found dead behind the aquarium or on the floor.

Well, I removed and look under all of the rock in the tank....no eel. So Im betting he did, just haven't found it yet. How came I eel proof my tank? theres only 2 openings at the top, one for the filter and one for the heater...hor can I prevent him from escaping?

topfish2

You probibly lost it, what I do is tape the top. It works good, and my7 eels have been here for many months. :)

peasly1

if you had checked thourghly around tank area it is possible that it found a spot in the lr to hide out, hopefully its still alive, mine has been known to hide for a couple of days

Well....I found him....lets just say it wasn't in the place I was hoping for. :(
Any other tips on keeping them in the tank? theres 2 openings. 1 for the filter and 1 for the heater. the heater is fairly small, but I think thats where he got out, since I found him in the general area. Also, is there anywhere that I can get a little bigger sized snowflake eel? All the ones at my LFS are really really small, i'd like just a littl bit bigger one. But anyway, any more tips on how to keep these things would be great, i'd really love to have one.
thanks

topfish2

They are really hardy, all you really need to do is to cover all openings. Read my post above, how I close the openings on the top. You should feed them a wide variety of foods, such as squid, mysis, etc.

Yes, make sure every possible escape route is covered up. I placed mesh over the openings on my canopy and even though mine tried to get out, the mesh holds him in. Now that he has finally figured out that he cannot get out...he does not try anymore.

blj1234

Can green spotted puffers live in saltwater?
What kind of puffer would you perfer with a snowflake morey in a 29 gallon?

pegboy

Also, use a feeding stick or tongs to feed it. If you drop food from the top it is used to traveling to the top of the tank looking for food, so if it is hungry it may jump out.