workhorse ballasts

salt210

I am going to be replacing my PC's with T5's and am looking for the best/cheapest route. I have come up with the plan of running 4x39w. What ballast should I use for this? Are these ballasts available at lighting stores or where is a place I could buy them without it being over the internet? I was going to use a Icecap, but those are at least $150.

scsinet

Electrical supply houses may have them, but honestly online is going to be your best route. A workhorse 7 would be the ballast for this. Google "1000 bulbs" and you'll find them.
Workhorse ballasts get a bad rep, but honestly I don't know why. You get amazing life out of the lamps, what my eyes perceive (I know, not saying much) to be great output, and they are reliable as anything else.
We use them all over the place at work because we don't have to stock so many different ballasts and we have some fixtures with really strange ballasts. Not one failure.

salt210

what does it mean when I read that Icecap ballasts overdrive the bulbs?
just that they are getting more wattage than they are rated at?
will I get this performance out of the workhorse ballasts?

scsinet

yes, icecap ballasts run more than 54w through a 4' lamp, more like 80w. So yes, you'll get more light output.
Workhorses may overdrive, but likely not that much.

salt210

SCSInet
the 7 is listed at 220w, so will each bulb actually be running at 55w instead of 39?

salt210

I am going to go to work early one day this week and check out a lighting store down the road from there and see what they have

scsinet

Yeah local is always more expensive. They are online for about $40.
Why such a desire to avoid online purchases?

bulldog123

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3115711
so the wife doesnt know how much I spend. I wish I could find an icecap local
You do what you have to. I just ordered the workhorse 7 and four retro t-5s for sunlightsupple. Im adding two 250w mh for the coral so I not worried about the extra light from ice cap.

salt210

more than likely I will buy the 7 this week. just have to get the rest of the equipment for them.