working from home

slick

Hi everyone. Does anyone know of any home based buisness that makes decent money and is not to hard to get going? I have been at my current job for 8yrs and really hate it. I am going to start looking for something I can do from home and make enough money that I could quit my current job. Thanks any ideas welcome

tangman99

I'm not sure of many legit stay at home jobs. I work at home remotely sometimes but not very often. One area you might look into is a medical coder (I think that's the term). They work for doctors and hospitals and submit treatment codes to insurance companies to try and get every dollar they can out of them. I am an Information Technology Architect for a medical insurance company and I see all the ways providers try to submit claims. Anyway, I think you can do this from home if you incorporate and contract the work to doctors.
My stay at home job is going to be stock trading when I get my current allotment that I play with to $100,000. I started with a small part of my total portfolio a year ago ($14,500) and currently have it up to almost $30,000 so hopefully in a few years I'll be there.

tony detroit

Like Tangman says.
Get 100K saved up and start Daytrading. You'll live just fine. A family friend just buys and sells Nextel and CMS Energy and Compuware exclusively. I think he's playing in the area of 500K though.
Buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, sell. He's retired and living nicely.
BUT, you have to have the egg to start with.
99% of SAH jobs are scams/ or are a waste, be careful whatever you do.
Just like all the guys I've seen come and go locally trying prop setups for frags in the last 5 years. In the end when you put time, investment, electric, and op/maintenance costs into the picture. Most prop guys don't make a dime doing it out of their basement.
You can also look into bonds/currency investments overseas as another investment option. But for it to outweigh daily work, you really need a good chunk to start playing with.
Here's the way to look at work:
If it was supposed to be fun, they wouldn't have to pay you to do it now would they?
tony

tangman99

Depending on your modesty you could always put a web cam in your shower and charge a subscription every month. They had 2 school teachers who did that on 48 Hours one night (or one of those rag shows) that quit their job and actually got their neighbors in on it. They were raking in about 2 million a year, but they were doing more than showering. :eek:

birdy

Another one in the medical field is Medical Transcription, you take orally dictated notes on patients and type it into hard copy forms.

nw2sltfsh

Are you looking for self employed Work from home or a company that allows Virtual office?
Most consulting companies do allow work at how, however a modest amount of travel is required.
I currently have a job that allows me to work from home, and I hate it. You are constantly reachable, there is no such thing as downtime, you never leave work even on the weekends it is there, and the worst is that there is a mental value gained from water cooler chat with co workers working from home there is no social interaction unless it is in the form of instant message or phone calls.

clarkiiboi

Could you send me an email (cause I dont want to hijack this thread) about what job you do at home. I know you said you hated it, but you live very close to me and I have been searching for a legit at home job for years.
SLICK
Sounds like you want to start your own business. What do you like to do...maybe you could build from that. Other than that I don't know. Like I said, I have had a hard time finding my own little virtual office, dont think I could do my own business right now.

babs

Hi, I read you post here ans was wondering if there is a miricle i could pull off with my insurance co. to get the gastric bypass done. I proved i have med. nessesity but the ins. has exclusions.
thanks for your time. Sorry to bother you, but at this point of health i'll ask anyone.
Babs
my email is babs210@peoplepc.com

tangman99

Originally Posted by snailheave
don't day trade
you'll end up with nothing one day
Day trading is a dangerous game. I don't day trade. I swing trade. Huge difference.

S

sinner's girl

techincal writing or computer programming can be done from home. My husband and I are both working from home, of course we're not making any money either. He started his own business and he has an internship that allows him to work at home. I just finished with school and I'm helping him with the biz.
"You are constantly reachable, there is no such thing as downtime, you never leave work even on the weekends it is there, and the worst is that there is a mental value gained from water cooler chat with co workers working from home there is no social interaction unless it is in the form of instant message or phone calls."
I feel the opposite. I'd rather not have to interact with others. and we are not constantly reachable. I check my email when I want to. And when we go to production, we will set the computer up to the phone, bis calls will only ring through during certain hours, all others will go to voice mail. All I have to do is shut down the computer and work is down. or leave the office. On the other hand, for me it's hard to get some work done because of everything else there is to do at home (cooking, cleaning, ect)