Working on my canopy

0verfl0w

I ordered some MHs this week and now I'm faced with keeping them nice and cool because I'm not getting a chiller. So...I'm going to install (4) 4" fans in my canopy to keep a good airflow through out my canopy. I'm also going to drill an additional piece of wood to the canopy support to raise the lights up off the water another 3" or so. I wanna install 2 of the fans on the top part of my canopy and then install the other 2 on the sides or rear part. I'm also looking at just installing all 4 fans on the top of the canopy. I need some opinions on this and what has worked best in your case. If anybody has any woodwork skill, what would be the best tool to use to cut into the wood like this? A dremel?
Thanks.

misfit

To put the holes in for the fans use a hole saw.and for the placement of the fans i have 4 fans on my 210 with 3 x 250 HQI DE halides.I have 2 fans on each end placed a little below the lights, the back is closed off and 2 fans pulling air in on one side and the other fans are pulling the air out.When the lights go on it raises my temp about a degree 2 tops.

0verfl0w

Interesting....so your sucking on one end and shooting out the other. A constant flow from left to right or opposite. That sounds like a solid setup. When I get home today I'm gonna take a good look at my canopy and see exactly how much room I have to work with. Thanks for the response.

cowfishrule

smart man
heat rises, so raise the effeciency of your fans by having them pull the heat out of the top.
i just finished building my lightstrip, but i put my holes on the sides. the temp on my tank only jumps like, .4 or .5 degrees with the mh on (175wt).