Worm id

jtroutine

I know I have at least one bristol worm as I had seen him when I was un packing my lr, I decided to keep him. But at night I use my sons little green flashlight to spy on everything that comes out at night, I havent seen anyhing but these tiny worms going in and out of the little holes in the rock, they look to be a dark color cant do any better then that being I am looking at with a green flashlight, but there are many of them I have probally seen maybe 4 or 5 already as soon as I see them they hide back in the rock. They dont appear to have any markings on them, as I thought could be peanut worm, I was reading a post on peanut worms and they were saying an easy way to identifie a peanut worm is the way they role over themselves:confused: I dont understand that description. I just know that they come out one hole and they are right in to another hole.

N

naclh2o

I would guess bristleworms, and the green light messing with color. Peanut worms don't really act like that.

nacl-h2o

If they are covered down each side with tiny white bristles, they are probably bristle worms. But if they look like plain dark worms they are more likely peanut worms. Either are good to have.
Bristle worm(colors may vary)

Peanut worm(coloring may vary)

skierguy

Thank you for this thread. I have been trying to ID those worms for a few days now. I have just had a population explosion of bristle worms. In the past two weeks it there population went from a few to a few hundred. They seem to be every piece of LR now. Is this many a good thing?

jtroutine

good question skier guy, I was going to ask the same thing. No, I know that they are not bristol worms. I know what they look like, I know I have at least one of them. These worms dont have any legs. Maybe they are peanut worms. I tell you what they can move fast. I seen one last night that had some of its body hanging out of the rock and I clicked on the light and nothing but dust, he darted in that rock quicker then anything all you saw was dust, shy little guys:D

nacl-h2o

jtroutine
That really sounds like peanut worm behavior to me.
Skierguy
And if there are that many bristle worms in there, there must be a need(probably execess food). Their populations usualy flucuate whith food availability.