Worm reproduction? (feather duster)

fraggle_a

Alright.
While installing my new hood, I noticed my FD seemed to have two sets of dusters. Closer inspection showed that it seemed to have two centers.
How do these worms reproduce?.
Do they split, or reproduce in the tube and then split the tube?
If I can get a picture later I will....
Any thoughts or knowlege?.

fraggle_a

I cant get my camera into a good position... sorry.
Ill try to describe it and keep you all posted on whats going on.
Right now, there apperes to be two dusters. While out, they seem to extend farther than normal. The end of the tube was round, but now seems to be eliptical more then round.
When it retracts, it seems to stay in longer than normal.
When it snaps back in, you can see the tube jump around more than 2 or 3 times.
Its suggestied that the worm is splitting, or reproducing inside the tube and ejecting the new worm to go build its own tube elsewhere.

toyshika

Originally Posted by Fraggle_a
I cant get my camera into a good position... sorry.
Ill try to describe it and keep you all posted on whats going on.
Right now, there apperes to be two dusters. While out, they seem to extend farther than normal. The end of the tube was round, but now seems to be eliptical more then round.
When it retracts, it seems to stay in longer than normal.
When it snaps back in, you can see the tube jump around more than 2 or 3 times.
Its suggestied that the worm is splitting, or reproducing inside the tube and ejecting the new worm to go build its own tube elsewhere.

So I take it they require nobody to reproduce then huh? What a life...LOL

fraggle_a

Check this out!. One of the worm looks to be leaving the tube!!
Sorry about the second shot, the camera seemed to think I wanted a picture of the glass.... :-
I had to move the worm slightly, if it carried on going the way it was, it would have dropped onto the LTA below it. I wasnt about to risk it becomming an invertibrate luncheon.

More later as it carries on with its perculiar dance.....

pilar

I would be interested in finding out if anyone else has experienced the feather duster extending out further than usual. I just acquired one and when got up this morning to feed the fish I notice it had exteded about 2-3 inches past the neck of the crown. It almost looked like it was crawling out of the tube. When I turned the light on it withdrew back to its normal spot. Any ideas? :help:

bang guy

Like all Bristleworms, Featherduster reproduction methods depend on the individual species.
Some Split
Some are broadcast spawners
Some lay eggs
Some have multiple ways to reproduce.

volcom69

i got about 20 small feather dusters on my live rock when i first set up my tank and they are still there. I have so many it kind of sucks but im waiting till they get bigger to get them out.