Worried of the world?

bronco300

anyone getting worried about raising a child up in this world? Things just seem to get worse...of course it's not like that everywhere but man.....i just heard a story on the way home that supposedly some highschool there was a group of girls that wanted their school to hand out contraceptives...well the school said no....and then the group of girls(like 16 of them or something) decided to make a effort to all get pregnant at the same time. So this school gives out pregnancy tests free and these girls were going in there taking it, and getting positives...giving each other "high-fives" to each other for getting pregnant....what if i had a daughter that was friends with that group...hopefully she would know better, but peer pressure sure can get to someone....just something I was thinking about...

alyssia

I've started to worry alot more lately about raising kids nowadays. Maybe it's because I just had another baby, but I swear things are so much worse than when I was a kid.

spanko

Every generation of parents wonders about raising children in the world "today". If you let thing like that drive your actions you will never do anything IMO. Children are wonderful and a joy to have and love.

groupergenius

Each generation is the same way. And will be forever.
It's up to the parents to BE parents and play a major role in the mind developement of our youth. Being a friend to ones child is no help. Children need guidence and morals.
That's how you keep the other little hoochie mommas from being the role models. I know, easier said than done. But easier doing than repairing later.

jmick

We live in the age of mass media and what's sad is that only the negative is reported and you'd think that as a nation we've gone downhill. I don't believe this at all and I think people are inherently good. I have two little ones and my wife and I will teach them right from wrong, they will always be active in some sort of after school program or sport, they will have the opportunity to go to college and IMO, are blessed to have been born here!
Really, my biggest fear is who they will want to associate with as they get older (jr high and high school) and I hope that my kids make the right choices.

bronco300

i know its up to a parent to raise their children well, but there is only so much you can do to protect them from other things, which maybe you shouldn't let that hinder...but to think i used to go to strangers houses all the time to sell for school etc, now I'd be very worried to let my child walk in some neighborhood without an adult right there ya know...

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Jmick
http:///forum/post/2660159
We live in the age of mass media and what's sad is that only the negative is reported and you'd think that as a nation we've gone downhill. I don't believe this at all and I think people are inherently good. I have two little ones and my wife and I will teach them right from wrong, they will always be active in some sort of after school program or sport, they will have the opportunity to go to college and IMO, are blessed to have been born here!
Really, my biggest fear is who they will want to associate with as they get older (jr high and high school) and I hope that my kids make the right choices.

I 150% agree with every word!
I hate watching the news! There are billions of teens in the US and people like this are what makes the news. Then parents buckle down restricting kids unnecessarily, and people are afraid to leave their houses, afraid of everything!
If my car broke down I wouldn't hesitate to knock on the first door I saw. I am way more confident in the american public than the media wants me to be.
I do not like the news. Just makes me mad.
I get "being aware and prepared", but it's geared to scare you and make you not trust people, NOT teach or warn you.
Vicious.

reefraff

Thing are more out in the open now. The 24 hour media brings a lot more to light but that also makes some things more accaptable over time too. I grew up in a beach town in the 60's which was pretty wild and free. There is a pretty big difference now but like Jmick said the media attention on everything makes it seem even worse.

bronco300

i understand the media is out for the blood and guts, which is why i hate the news as well..and I myself have no issue with going to someones door and knocking if i need like tizzo mentioned, but i'm an adult...i'd just be more worried for a kid because of their sense of danger not being quite as honed in yet...and although can be taught, it doesnt always prevail...which maybe is a senseless worry because it just puts up barriers..but nontheless..its hard to compute everything sometimes....but i know there are TONS of wonderful people out there that would go miles out of their way to help a stranger.

mimzy

the world has never been crappier, the world has never been better. the world will never change.
if you have kids, you insulate them as best you can. all you can give them in the end is expectations, anyhow.
I don't know why anyone would want to have kids, personally, but if you're into that sort of thing, the state of the world is not really a good reason to hesitate.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2660256
I don't know why anyone would want to have kids, personally, .
Haha!! Amen to THAT!! They are so over-rated and so few actually ever become president anyway!

IDK how old you are, but that right there is wisdom beyond your years, LOL.
(LOL, cause I have 3...
)

mimzy

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2660260
Haha!! Amen to THAT!! They are so over-rated and so few actually ever become president anyway!

IDK how old you are, but that right there is wisdom beyond your years, LOL.
(LOL, cause I have 3...
)
heheh, glutton for punishment much?

m0nk

Personally, I think there is still the same percent of crazies out there, same percent of people who cause serious trouble, it's just that the population is so much greater now than 50 years ago that bad things happen more frequently and are more noticeable. If worse comes to worse, there are still a few undeveloped parts of the world to escape to.

cowfishrule

as my son gets older, i am going to teach him respect another, be a man and own up to your mistakes, to be involved, and to defend himself whenever necessary.
oh, also Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian.

teresaq

Im not too worried. We teach them to be a good person, respect others, and be self reliant. In our family we also teach that being differant is a good thing and that everyone is the same on the inside. We also teach that if you want something out of life you need to work for it. Dont get me wrong parenting is hard and we worry about our kids when they are, but it is our jobs to teach them right from wrong and at some point we must trust thier judgment, and they must learn from thier mistakes and live with the outcome.
T mom to the rainbow family of 4 kids.

darthtang aw

Since the parents here are teaching right and wrong ETC. does this mean those parents that ignore their kids and have screaming demanding brats I see at the supermarket don't have internet?

mimzy

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2660557
Since the parents here are teaching right and wrong ETC. does this mean those parents that ignore their kids and have screaming demanding brats I see at the supermarket don't have internet?