worse timing ever

my protein skimmers pump died yesterday while i was at my family's house, now i dont get paid until Wednesday, will my tank be ok without a protein skimmer until then?

well i only run the skimmer at night and with the corals and all i thought not having a skimmer could end up as a big problem

florida joe

ok next question why only at night and to know if not running your skimmer is detrimental you need to know what the advantage of running one is, and that would be ?

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3284406
ok next question why only at night and to know if not running your skimmer is detrimental you need to know what the advantage of running one is, and that would be ?

protein skimmers use bubbles to collect proteins and other waste products, those bubble rise to the top of the collection cup and are"skimmed off". i was worried that the rise in proteins could be a problem, i never really understood why youd want to get rid of proteins but thats just me

bmkj02

Actually I have heard that corals feed on that stuff but to much of it effects the quality of the water which is a domino effect. Leads to fish dying and coral dying. Leaving it off a few days should give them some feeding. Depends how long you will be out of a pump. Skimmer doesnt take place of a water change but less of it. When mine went out I had to make sure I did it every month.

bmkj02

Also, the off and on will kill your pump. Running it at night time and then shutting it off will start putting some excess wear and tear on the pump. Keep it on

Originally Posted by bmkj02
http:///forum/post/3284619
Also, the off and on will kill your pump. Running it at night time and then shutting it off will start putting some excess wear and tear on the pump. Keep it on
really? i never thought of that, i got the idea from someone on here when i had macro bubble problems, but i should probably be glad the pump died, i got it used and ive had it for four years now, who knows how long the other guy had it for...lol, but im supposed to be getting a new one tomorrow, along with gathering some of the stuff for a phosban reactor

florida joe

basic info about skimming from the web
A protein skimmer is a filtration device that removes undesirable proteins and other organic residue present in the water before they start decomposing to become harmful and toxic nitrogenous waste like ammonia and nitrite. Skimmers are relatively simple in design – it comprises of a glass chamber to store a column of water, a bubble generator and a waste collection compartment.
Why Use a Protein Skimmer?
When a skimmer is installed, streams of bubbles from a bubble generator are injected into the water column to create a huge water/air interface. This interface draws in most of the undesirable organic molecules because of their hydrophobic (water-repelling) nature. This accumulation of organic waste continues till the water/air interface gets saturated and foam formation starts. The foam carries the gathered waste to the top of the water column, where it gets transferred into a waste collection cup and removed by emptying the cup. Therefore, a protein skimmer is also known as a foam filtrator.
What a Protein Skimmer Does
Other than getting rid of organic wastes and residue from the water, a protein skimmer also does the following:
- Remove some inorganic impurities like phosphates.
- Remove any toxins released by corals or invertebrates present in the aquarium.
- Ease the burden on the biological filter.
- Restricts algae build-up and removes bacteria.
- Increases the oxygen level in the water.

J

jstdv8

I know a few tanks that are fantastic that don't use skimmers at all. I'm sure you'll be ok for a few days till you can get a new pump.
I'm testing running my tank without the skimmer for a bit while I evaluate my algae turf scrubber. So far the scrubber is outperforming the skimmer in the nitrates and phosphates area. not sure any other added benefits or detractors from turing it off though. things you can't test for are hard to see happening.
If nothing else your corals should get an extra snack for a few days.

lol thanks guys for the help, although i still dont know why turning it off at night and on in the morning adds extra wear though?

J

jstdv8

perhpas look at it like a semi vs a pickup truck. pickups get about 250,000 miles on them and they are pretty well worn out.
Semi's go into the millions of miles. Why? Semi's don't start adn stop nearly as often.
Maybe that's a bad analogy, but it's all I could come up with :p

cranberry

IMO, it doesn't add enough wear to mean anything. Now, if you were turning it on/off every hour, that may reduce the life of the pump. But just every night will not.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Jstdv8
http:///forum/post/3284676
perhpas look at it like a semi vs a pickup truck. pickups get about 250,000 miles on them and they are pretty well worn out.
Semi's go into the millions of miles. Why? Semi's don't start adn stop nearly as often.
Maybe that's a bad analogy, but it's all I could come up with :p
FYI
engines use oil for lubrication when you shut them down the weight of lubricated parts forces the oil from the surface of the rotating element and fixed element. when you start the engine you get initial friction until the parts ride on a thin layer of oil thus the more you start and stop an engine the more fiction you produce over a matter of time