Worst thing you have heard from your LFS

ice4ice

One day recently I went to a LFS just to see what new fish he had. I saw a couple of tanks with dead decaying saltwater fish that looked like it's been in there for a week or so. HE also had a plastic garbage can with RO/DI water overflowing as well. Needless to say I didn't say anything to him because he was so engrossed in reading his current issue Playboy magazine when I came in than taking care of his store.

alix2.0

Originally Posted by SteelGluer
http:///forum/post/2452692
Ok this should go into the ***** hall of fame
A guy comes in the store tells me he has a 55 gallon tank with oscars and he needs to buy a coral to raise his ph. I said what are you talking about, he said he just came from ***** and they told him to come here and buy a coral put it in his tank to raise the ph. I looked at him and said are you serious, he said yep, So I called ***** and asked for the person incharge of the fish and then I gave the dude an ear full......
YIKES

like crushed coral? or live coral?

K

kari maureen

My favorite... Not what they say, what they do...
Me: " Yes, I'll go ahead and adopt the Dogfaced Puffer"
Associate: "Okay, hes a mean *** if he wasn't adopted today, I was going to throw him in the trigger tank to see who would win..." As he was talking, he started to go after him with a net.

UGH! I hate telling people what to do on their job..
Me: "Uh.. Sir... You're catching a puffer, not a clownfish... You can't pull puffers out of the water without filling them with air and killing them....................."
Associate "oh ****!!!! HAHAHA I almost killed your stupid *** FISH!! Hahahah!!!"
... Moral of this story, ***** doesn't always hire the best and brightest........

maxalmon

I was TOLD to leave and to NEVER come back at a LFS, something like this. I was wandering around looking at some SWF and overheard the salesperson helping a lady with 75g acrylic reefready complete setup, new tank, stand, CC, lights, canister filter, the works...Then I overheard them taking about the fish she wanted, so I moved in to listen and was totally shocked. The guy actually told her that she could go home, fill the tank with tap water, toss in some amquel and salt, wait an hour and then add the fish she was also going to take home with her. So I kinda stalked both of them around the store and here is what she picked out and was going to take home with her, 2 clowns, 1 hippo, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, a coral beauty, a blue linkia and a seabae anemone.....The sales guy walked away, I pounced on the lady and told her "your being royaly shafted and all those fish are going to die with 24-48 hours" Then I explained in a brief way my experience level and what she should actually do, then I told her to log onto our local site vegasreefers. com and that I would help her. So the guy comes back and she blurts out, "this guys telling me all the fish are going to die and your shafting me, who's lying!" I attempted to explain the cycle process and how some of the fish aren't compatible and the sales guy just went balistic told me I had no experience and was cluless about SW, so I whipped out one of my business cards, gave it to the lady and then they threw me out of the store. The lady was right behind me, we stood in the parking lot for about an hour as I explained to the lady what she needed to do, all the while the owner and sales guy keept screamin at me to get out of the parking lot and they were going to call the police. So I told the lady to follow me to another store that I trust, me and the sales guy helped her pickout her tank and starter supplies minus fish.........Guess the guys were ticked that they lost a 2k sale all in the name of greed

teresaq

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2452643
i dont
all i have is a 14 bio cube.
would the pods live/breed in the dt?
pondering- i wonder if i can have pods survive in my middle chamber with the bio balls?
or- what if i put the macro algae in a net breeder on the back wall of the tank?
you can buy these little plastic holders, with lots of holes and suction cups in the bath department at walmart. a lot of seahorse people use them for chaeto in thier display tanks.

J

jrthomas40

when i first started and didnt know anything
conversation at the fish store:
owner: what can i do for you?
Me: i want to start a saltwater tank
owner: what size?
me: not really sure about the 40-50 gallon range
owner: ok here buy this tank and stand with regular lights and no overflow...
me: are those lights going to be good enough to keep coral...
owner: sure you can keep anything you want under them

stdreb27

Originally Posted by maxalmon
http:///forum/post/2452981
I was TOLD to leave and to NEVER come back at a LFS, something like this. I was wandering around looking at some SWF and overheard the salesperson helping a lady with 75g acrylic reefready complete setup, new tank, stand, CC, lights, canister filter, the works...Then I overheard them taking about the fish she wanted, so I moved in to listen and was totally shocked. The guy actually told her that she could go home, fill the tank with tap water, toss in some amquel and salt, wait an hour and then add the fish she was also going to take home with her. So I kinda stalked both of them around the store and here is what she picked out and was going to take home with her, 2 clowns, 1 hippo, 1 yellow tang, 1 flame angel, a coral beauty, a blue linkia and a seabae anemone.....The sales guy walked away, I pounced on the lady and told her "your being royaly shafted and all those fish are going to die with 24-48 hours" Then I explained in a brief way my experience level and what she should actually do, then I told her to log onto our local site vegasreefers. com and that I would help her. So the guy comes back and she blurts out, "this guys telling me all the fish are going to die and your shafting me, who's lying!" I attempted to explain the cycle process and how some of the fish aren't compatible and the sales guy just went balistic told me I had no experience and was cluless about SW, so I whipped out one of my business cards, gave it to the lady and then they threw me out of the store. The lady was right behind me, we stood in the parking lot for about an hour as I explained to the lady what she needed to do, all the while the owner and sales guy keept screamin at me to get out of the parking lot and they were going to call the police. So I told the lady to follow me to another store that I trust, me and the sales guy helped her pickout her tank and starter supplies minus fish.........Guess the guys were ticked that they lost a 2k sale all in the name of greed
That must have been fun.

steelgluer

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2452763
That's awesome Wade! I can't believe they didn't let you in!

That is actually common practice for many for raising the pH in cichlid tanks. You and the guy just misunderstood. He meant a dead coral, not a live one.

A live coral a $50.00 coral not a dead coral

salty blues

When I was running a FW tank, I went to LFS to get some API pH up. The owner said to use pH down because according to her you should use the opposite of what you want the pH to be. Needless to say, I now ignore all of her advice.

mike22cha

"Oh, you got a yellow tang in your 125g. A purple tang and sailfin will go along fine in there. The odd number rule works."

ric maniac

I was told that a seahorse would host an anemone like a clownfish, and that the anemones would pair up.... go figure.

kclester

Well i was at my LFS and i was looking at some coral not wanting to buy any i was just looing...and a sales person asks which one are you wanting
so i reply im not looking to buy any coral i just have normal output lighting
he said that my basic lightng fixture will support all of these corals.....they will do even better if you buy this 50/50 bulb to put in you fixture
Then at the same LFS i was purchaseing some LR and he said if you would like we hve tennis ball sized rubble rock for 2.99 a pound
so i take a look at the rock well it was in a 10 gallon tank with about 7 inches of nasty water not flow..no filter notig at al it was just settin there...the was a layer of red slime on all of the rock....

shinobi9119

thats awesome!!!
There is an LFS a little far away so i dont go there often. It wasnt really a bad thing because the majority of the employes know what they are doing. But I got the one who didnt as I was going in to buy my tank.
I was browsing their tanks looking for a 75 gallon pre-drilled tank.
guy:Can I help you?
me: sure im looking for a 75 gallon predrilled tank do you have one here or in the back room?
Guy" well let me show you this one.
I was excited but he takes me to a 29 gallon tank. He tells me how the galss is so thick it will never break. He tried to convnce me to buy this tank even after I kpet teling him I wasnt interested lol. He finally stopped so I snuck away to the fish section. As I was looking back for a different sales person Kevin34 came in lol. he was coming to pick upi hsi tank. Which is a weird concidence. He said there was some guy who ordered his tank for him. So I had to wait for that guy to come in. When I finally ordered the tank and sump, it was as much as the little 29 gallon + stand!!! lol But i glad there were some people who knew wat was going on there.

kjr_trig

My personal favorite quote...
"Not sure what a refugium is...But I wouldn't think you would want live rock in a sump, it would be hard to keep clean"

wangotango

These are some pretty good stories. You're the man max

All I've got is "Sorry Justin, I can only give you $15 credit for your acan." (bought it there for $50, now it's being sold for like $45)
-Justin

mike22cha

Awesome story.

krista921

Originally Posted by WangoTango
http:///forum/post/2454182
All I've got is "Sorry Justin, I can only give you $15 credit for your acan." (bought it there for $50, now it's being sold for like $45)
-Justin

i hope that wasnt tom, justin
but it is common practice to buy a coral for a third of the price they intend to sell it for
from customers that is