Worth $800?

bbb

Is this worth $800?
75 Gallon Acrillic tank (60"L/18"D/16"T)
7 Powerheads
700 gph sump pump with sump tank
Brand new Berlin Turbo Protein Skimmer
2 continuous power supplies
IceCap Electronic Ballast
2 VHO Actinic White Tubes
2 VHO Actinic "03" Tubes
5 Moon Lights
Built in Overflows painted black
Lots of food and chemicals
I think it comes with a stand and some kind of top
It's my uncle's old tank and he's offered it to me for $800. I'm thinking about getting it but I just want to make sure it's good deal. I don't have all of the specific information, but from what's there, does it sound like a good deal?

zman1

That wouldn't be a bad price as long as it comes with LR and LS. I'd would have thought a family purchase price would have been a little better though. Unless he has someone waiting to buy for more that's not a family member.

minority

I think thats a good price, especially if you've seen the system up and running. I've been pricing 75's and at a lot of places that would be just the tank and stand.

bbb

I haven't personnaly seen the tank up and running. He's been out of the hobby for a while. I was thinking the same thing about the tank and stand costing quite a bit, then plus the other things.

coachklm

ive seen better deals on larger systems..
I would see that price for 125g systems
on used tanks you estimate to 1.50 ~ 2.00 / gallon
equipment ~ 1/2 -3/4 original cost
i would check the classifieds if i were you. or offer 500$

hatessushi

I think that is a damn good price for a 75 gal. acrylic. A glass tank I would say for the whole setup maybe $500 but since it's an acrylic tank then $800 is good as long as it's not all scratched up.

mikeyjer

Since he's your uncle, you should offer him $650 for everything since all the parts are used. As long as the tank isn't all scratched up.... :happyfish

zman1

Originally Posted by BBB
I haven't personnaly seen the tank up and running. He's been out of the hobby for a while. I was thinking the same thing about the tank and stand costing quite a bit, then plus the other things.
IME letting pumps and PH dry out is the worst thing you can do to them. I would recommend if you buy the system, is let the PHs soak in water for a couple days, vinegar for a day and clean them. At this point plug them in. Good luck on the acquisition!

bbb

How about if a 400 watt metal halide is thrown in. He emailed us this morning and included a 400 watt metal halide that I think he left out of the description.

unleashed

800 is not a bad price for the set up at all.if you had to buy all of this new you might get a tank and stand alone for 800 if your lucky.concider what he has invested into this system.from what your listing the lightin alone will cost almost as much as he selling it all for .i do recommend before setting up this tank resealing the inside .if a tank has been sitting dry for some time the seal does become weakened.should be ok if not dry for over a 6 mo period

bbb

I know he's spent quite a bit on all of this stuff. It would be kind of hard to wait for him to bring the price because of time. He's not in a big rush to sell it. Right now I think I might buy it in a week or two. Thanks for everyone's opinions.