Would a Blue Hippo Tang(Regal) fit in a 55g

Would a Blue Hippo Tang(Regal) fit in a 55g part reef tank with 2 Tomato clowns 6 green chromis and a lawnmower bleny or would it be too crowded?

fshhub

i'd ahve to say it would be too crowded, plus the fact that tangs need alot of swimming room, the big debate(normally) is at least 75 gallons, but some i feel should even have larger tanks

bbreaux1

im just starting out and i haf a 55gal and plan on having a blue hippo but im gonna get him young and as soon as i think hes getting a bit too big ill bring him back to the store other than that i plan on have two true perc clowns,flame angel,royal grammar,and a cleaner wrasse

aquarius

I think if you get him as a juvenile like the size of a quater, than you can keep him in there for some time. But once he does grow in which they get pretty big, you need to either upgrade or bring him back to the store.

diverinva

I am planning on getting a blue hippo tang as well. I saw a school of them at my lfs and they were all about the size of a quarter. I am going to only get one. Please let me know how it turns out when you get yours.

flamehawk

I personally don't think that we should be buying fish with the intent to put them in a crowded and stressful situation with the intent of returning them or moving them later. They s/b accomadated in a tank with adult size in mind. There are often times that unexpected things come up which require taking them out(moving residence, purchase of larger tank, etc.) but other than these cases we should all at least make a good hearted attempt to keep our fish in the same living quarters thru adulthood.

nosmada

a hippo will definately outgrow your tank. heres a little information i found for you:
The Paracanthurus hepatus grows up to 12 inches. The small size will come to you generally 1½ to 2½ inches; the medium generally 2½ to 3½ inches; the large generally 3½ to 6 inches; the XL generally 6 to 8 inches. The Blue Tang, Indo-Pacific prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
and:
Hippo tangs can reach about 1' maximum, generally smaller in captivity. Tank size of 55-70 gal is minimum that they should be housed in,
but they will tend to outgrow that size. A 6' long tank, is more suitable for long term care.

hth,
chris

karlas

that would be overcrowding the tank also if u were planning on the perculas that wouldn't be a good idea with u already having tomato clowns mixing species of clowns could end up in a lot of fighting or loss of some fish. getting the tang just to take him back later isn't a good idea either because that could be more stress on this fish and when under stress are even more susuptable to ick and lateral line disease. i would go with some of your other choices but cut out about 3 of them at least :rolleyes:

aquarius

Well I got mine in and I put him in the 70 with an Atlantic Blue Tang and a Coral Beauty and the two damsels. Well as soon as he went in the damsels wouldn't lay off him so I took an hour and a half to get those little pains out, then after they were out the Tang thought it was his turn to beat on the hippo and he just pinned him up in the quater and constantly beat on him. Right now I have a divider in the tank with the hippo alone. But, he's scratching so i think he has ick and I'm already feeding him garlic soaked brine. I think it was all brought on my so much stress. Hopefully the little guy pulls through. He's only the size of a quater! Good Luck!

bbreaux1

from what ive read you shouldnt have two tangs in a tank.maybe try taking out your other tang for alittle while then put him back in so he doesnt have his territory established anymore

wallda

How mush will a hippo grow in a year. COnsider the enviroment good, proper feeding, and low stress?

maryc137

I had a Hippo that recently died.He was 9 years old though so I think he had a pretty good life. He was in a 65 gallon tank and we always had quite a few other fish as well. I don't think they will grow to 1 foot long in a home aquarium. That's my favorite fish, and I wouldn't do without one. I'm puting 4 into the 137 gallon tank I have now

predator

I personally would'nt put a tang in a 55.Though if you got a small one and knew you were going to up grade fairly soon you could do it.Tangs are active swimmmers and love there room.I'd hate to deprive any fish there space.