Would a Faster Pump Overlode My Filter?

sea horse

I need to have more flow in my tank and am wondering if a faster pump will overload my filter. Also does any one know of a different brand of pump besides Jebo that will work? :happyfish

coachklm

interesting to say the least..
is it just sponge in the spaces?
are the filter items completely submerged?

if that is the direction of flow (the arrow) you might be able to fill the sections with LR rubble and sand to create a refugium if deep enough.. p.s. wheres the skimmer?
if the sections contain sponges or filter floss this just leads to nitrates

sea horse

The spaces hold two different filter pads. (fine and corse) I also put in some balls that have good bactiria in them. The filter pads are not usualy submurged like that, but some times a bactiria ball will get stuck some ware and slow down the flow.

coachklm

take out the bioballs and add LR rubble... this way you can increase water flow through the filter..
the LR will act as a filter water cleaner ... the sponges are just a filter trap.

sea horse

The direction of flow is the other direction. :notsure: But I have live rock and sand in my tank? If I replaced the pads with rock what woul take out the impurities? The tank has nver had a skimmer because the whole top of the tank is covered. I don't think I have bio-balls. These balls are not plastic and they less than one forth of an inch across.

coachklm

ok you have the ceramic rings then?
you need a skimmer period ... no getting around it is there a way you can put a HOB skimmer in the back left of the hood thingy?
maybe fill the number 1 with LR rubble and Cheato

wait ... no lights in there huh? ohh man i'm rackin my brain here...
maybe we could make it a cryptic filter... huh ..

sea horse

No, not rings. The pakage says Eheim Substrate Pro biologicaly intinsive filter media. How does a regular skimmer differ from a HOB? What is a cryptic filter? All I am realy wanting to do is get a stronger pump so I can have more water flow. (I can''t get my PH up)

coachklm

well the sponges would need cleaning more often .... how does the water get back down to the tank? what size hole? the hole can only handle so much water at a time ...

sea horse

I clean the sponges when ever they start to look dirty. the water just basicly drains back into the tank to the right of the compartments. the drain pipe is a hair larger than a quarter.

coachklm

Originally Posted by zman1
Coach - it's a nano cube the filter boxes are on the backside of the tanks.
nmd then

i was looking at the pictures....size reference made it look like a large tank
p.s. i know nothing of nanos .... lol ...sry

i admit defeat on this one lol

to the nano gods lol

triga22

Sorry that I can help you but I would like to see some pictures of you tank if you dont mind. Im a curious person.