would like some input on flame angel and yellow tang...

jth

was putting the last of the fish in my DT after acclimation was complete which was a flame angel. My yellow tang who has been happy as a clam with a false perc, a tiny hippo tang, and a neon goby, a fire and a cleaner shrimp in my 65 gal Red Sea Max instantly went nuts when I put the flame angel in. Chased him relentelesssly for over an hour, even after I turned off the lights out. I had enough of it so I traped the tang and put him in my QT until I figure out what to do. I was afraid he was either going to out right kill the flame angel our stress the poor fellow to death.
Before the tang police arrive know that I have been concerned with the size compatability and the tangs may be destined for a larger tank down the road.
So has anyone delt with this issue?
Any advice on re-introudcing my tang, time to do it? Ways to do it? If there is a battle b/w two fish will there always be a battle or is there reasonable hope this could be a transient issue?

small triggers

yellow tangs can be so dominant sometimes,,, id wait atleast a week before i put him back in, also id change the rock work around before putting him back in, that will re-set the boundaries for all the fish and they can work it out when he gets back in. Also, whenever i add new fish i do it with the lights off incase of aggerssion issues. Another point is, when you are plannign your stock list you should put in the most aggressive fish last,,,

krazykarel

I wouldn't risk it. Make a decision on one and take back the other. For your size of tank, I would go with sticking with the Flame.

stanlalee

leave the tang out for a week. when he comes back he wont even know he was there. works almost everytime. I'm suprised the flame even took that. I've introduced dwarfs and my tangs tried that. took all of 10 minutes before the smaller new dwarf angel let them know I dont take no mess.

jth

I thought about taking the tang back but I got him here at SWF and the lfs is abysmal so I think that would be certin doom. There tanks are horrible kept. I miss him from my DT I will try to re-intorduce him this weekend and let you guys know how it goes. I am still battling the thought of moving my rock.

nycbob

the only way is to take out the yellow tang for a day or two, then retroduce it. if u hv enough rocks, the flame angel should find a place to hide.

crypt keeper

Your tank is too small. Flat out it wont work. You can take him out and try and reintroduce but a 65 gallon is to small for such aggressive fish to be together.
Im far from the tang police. Im the its just not gonna work dont do it police cpt.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3126671
Your tank is too small. Flat out it wont work. You can take him out and try and reintroduce but a 65 gallon is to small for such aggressive fish to be together.
Im far from the tang police. Im the its just not gonna work dont do it police cpt.
Yeah; I think fish that feel cramped often turn overly-aggressive as a response.

jth

I put the yellow tang back in yesterday. After re-acclimation I keep him in a clear fish trap for several hours in the display tank and let the other fish come up to him and looked for signs of aggression. Did not see any, so after two weeks or so I released him back in and all seems all forgiven. The yellow tang and the flame angel are getting along fine now. I did not have to rearrange my rocks but did move and added on algae clip. So for the short term at least that hurdle has been passed. Thanks for all the post; I believe there is wisdom in a multitude of councilors.

jth

things seem to go OK at first but after careful observation the tang continue to have increasingly more aggressive behavior. Freaked my purple firefish and then I got I believe a ick outbreak. Tang is now out again. I will sadly take him to a LFS. Interestingly the ick is not visible on any of my fish, I was planing on moving all that I could catch to my HT but perhaps my neon goby and cleaner shrimp ate the parasites off.

lietz06

Sorry you have to take him to a LFS...but it'll be for the better. The flame angel is a beautiful speciman so at least the yellow tang got replaced by a nice vibrant fish:)