Would like to put 2 tangs in my 150

puffer32

Keep in mind its not a 6 ft tank, I belive its alittle over 5 ft in length.(63 inches) I have a 30 gal fuge also, and just afew docile fish (saving the more aggressive fish for last) any suggestions on which tangs I can add in this size tank, and should I add them at the same time? If so, should I put 2 larger fish like these in a QT tank? Sounds like i may be asking for trouble if I do that :thinking: :notsure:

dogstar

Just stay away from the ones that get too big or are very active like most Naso ect. Maybe a Yellow and a Hippo or some thing like that should work if these are going to be the only big fish you plan on.
All depends on what you choose as far as how to QT them. If you dont think your QT is big enough then one at a time would be best and depends on which one is more aggressive as to what goes in first.
Example...Of the two I mentioned I would get the Hippo first. IMO, less agressive to a newcomer than the Yellow would be.

connor

powder blues are very VERY succeptable to ich and can be very aggresssive i had one and i had to get rid of him because he attacked all the new fish

nimo1969

kole tang is also great
I have yellow, purple ,kole in a 150 with 110 lbs of LR THEY ARE DOING GREAT

puffer32

I thought hippo tangs were the ick magnets. I willl stay away from the PB. Any opinions on the sailfin?

dogstar

Purple tangs are just like Yellows IMO ( I have them both ) and will do fine in a 150g.
All tangs or any fish as far as that goes can get Ick. Mostly depends on the health and if QT and introduced to a healthy and non aggressive invirment and properly fed, acclimated, ect. ect.
I also have a Sailfin and it should be fine for a long time if you get a smaller one, Their growth rate slows over time IMO. I have had mine for 5 years and its only grown to 6 inches.

drago

i have a clown tang and they are very pretty i also like cheveron tangs but i dont have one

puffer32

i had a yellow once in my 75 and was scared the whole time i had him I would have an ich outbreak, not sure I want to go through that again. He never did get ich, he is still in the tank, but I sold my set up when we moved, new owner says he is doing fine. So maybe i will stay away from tangs all together, but probably won't, all I need is to see a nice one, and I will sucumb to the temptation
I just don't want to get one that will outgrow my tank. Thanks for all the advice

quatsch94

Hey all,
New to the forums, I have a question about getting a Purple Tang for my aquarium in my office. First of all, it's a real pain trying to find one 3-4 inches anywhere around here, any suggestions where I can get a healthy specimen that'll arrive live and well?
Here's my setup currently:
225g
Clown Trigger
Imperator Angel
Yellow Tang
Naso Tang
2 Silver Monos (don't ask lol)
2 cleaner crabs
Spiny starfish
My next question concerning a next fish would be will a Purple Tang work with my tank? I don't want my tangs to fight and kill eachother but I figure it is a large enough tank to support them. There's a bit of an algae crisis and I think another tang would be in order, especially one as beautiful as the Purple Tang. Advice and recommendations would be appreciated.

maroonytun

You might have to worry about the yellow tang and purple tang when fighting.
If they fight pull the yellow tang out of the tank for about an hour, move some rocks around, and let the purple tang settle in.

quatsch94

Originally Posted by maroonytun
You might have to worry about the yellow tang and purple tang when fighting.
If they fight pull the yellow tang out of the tank for about an hour, move some rocks around, and let the purple tang settle in.
Could I offset it by putting in an additional yellow or brown tang (same body shape) to retain an odd number of similar tangs?
I was thinking I would turn off the lights during acclimation when I put the Purple Tang in and watch them closely for a few hours to make sure everythings a go.