would this be ok?

Would it be ok to put snails in my DT even though I am leaving it fishless to get rid of ick? or could they still have ick on them or anything? all my fish are in a QT right now.... just wondering if that would be ok cause I'm really not sure. thanks

michaeltx

they can not host ich so shrimp crabs and snails are the only things that would be safe from ich in the tank.
Mike

so there wouldn't be a chance of them messing up the DT all over again? I mean ich can't even live on it? I just don't want to risk what I have already started. thanks

michaeltx

so there wouldn't be a chance of them messing up the DT all over again? I mean ich can't even live on it? I just don't want to risk what I have already started. thanks
right sense you are living the tank fishless the snails and ceabs will nto be able to HOST the ich so it will die off. now what myreef has said is absolutley true they can be carried in on shells because when a snail closes up it will trap some water which can harbor the ich parasite.
mike

stanlalee

at the stage its on a snail or in the water that comes along with the snail it will only last a few days before dying off so its a safe bet. When I removed the fish from my tank for ich treatment I purposely added about 25 snails then. now is the safest time to do it.

rbaldino

Ich can be carried around by most anything, but needs fish to sustain itself. If you leave the DT fishless long enough (four weeks, I believe) all the ich will die off.