Would this light work on a 55 gallon tank

I am looking in to a light that a friend has for sale it is a 48 inch Current USA SunPod 2x250 14k HQ!-MI w/18 Lunar lights. I was wondering if this would be to much light for my 55 gallon tank. He is asking $300 for it. Is that a good price? I am not sure how old it is. I do know that some sites have discontinued them so I think it might be a old fixture.

acrylic51

I wouldn't give $300 for the light. That's just me though....Is everything in working order with the lighting system? The 250 is a little overkill IMO for a 55, but would work.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/386846/would-this-light-work-on-a-55-gallon-tank#post_3399916
I am looking in to a light that a friend has for sale it is a 48 inch Current USA SunPod 2x250 14k HQ!-MI w/18 Lunar lights. I was wondering if this would be to much light for my 55 gallon tank. He is asking $300 for it. Is that a good price? I am not sure how old it is. I do know that some sites have discontinued them so I think it might be a old fixture.
I had a smaller model, it had one 150watt with 12 LEDs, I paid $150 for it used, used it for a year longer and recently sold it for $150, so $300 is about right for that light, at least where I live.
It's a decent fixture, not the best, not the worst. Yes, they've been discontinued. IMO, 2 250watt halides is too much for your 55G, and the LED lights suck. They're too bright for moonlights and too dim for actinic purposes.

Thanks I was afraid it was to much but he said it would be fine. What I am looking for is lighting that will support Acro and such. I have T5's now and from what I have read you need stronger lights.

btldreef

T5's have and can be used for keeping SPS if you have the right setup, Halides are definitely easier though.
I would be looking for 2 150watts, not 2 250s, that's just overkill. You'd end up cooking your corals and your tank, and more than likely you'd need a chiller. I know someone who has 2 250's over his 90G and needed a chiller as a result.

Okay thanks I will pass on it then. And start looking for those. I want to find used ones if I can money is tight right now. I told a friend in my reef club I was looking for some new lights and he offered me these. If I stay with the T5s what do you this would be good?

acrylic51

Bulb choice/selection is tough in the 150 range.....IMO you'd be better off with 175; a wider color temp choice.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386846/would-this-light-work-on-a-55-gallon-tank#post_3399963
T5's have and can be used for keeping SPS if you have the right setup, Halides are definitely easier though.
I would be looking for 2 150watts, not 2 250s, that's just overkill. You'd end up cooking your corals and your tank, and more than likely you'd need a chiller. I know someone who has 2 250's over his 90G and needed a chiller as a result.
+1 on over kill and chiller.
Before I went to LED's on my 55g I had the 2 150's version with pc's. It pushed the tank nicely! But I was spending roughly 50bucks alone to push that light a month. I have seen a huge decreace in power bill since I went to LED's.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang lover1961 http:///forum/thread/386846/would-this-light-work-on-a-55-gallon-tank#post_3400032
I would love to do LED's but they are so expensive the prices scared me when I priced them.
Understood...... completly..... but they pay for them selfs in 1.5 years tops, according to my "worst" estimates. 30 dollars a month on power savings was $540 after 18 months alone............. not to take into account the $60 bulb yearly..... double....... and the inital cost........ Its how I talked my wife into them......

Some day I will get them just can't do it right now. Would be great to lower my light bill with this heat air runs non stop. I'm going to hate it when I get the bill.It has been over 90 to 95 with heat index 110 to 115 all week.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/386846/would-this-light-work-on-a-55-gallon-tank#post_3399963
I have to respectfully disagree, since I have 2 250 watt bulbs on my 55. I do not have the need for a chiller. I also would not recommend getting 250 watt metal halides for a 55. However, if a really good deal were to arise for a 250 watt fixture I would take it. I just take time to slowly acclimate my corals to the intense light.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerth6932 http:///forum/thread/386846/would-this-light-work-on-a-55-gallon-tank#post_3400030
+1 on over kill and chiller.
Before I went to LED's on my 55g I had the 2 150's version with pc's. It pushed the tank nicely! But I was spending roughly 50bucks alone to push that light a month. I have seen a huge decreace in power bill since I went to LED's.
If the canopy and mounting is correct doesn't necessitate the need for a chiller!!!!!!

jerth6932

If the canopy and mounting is correct doesn't necessitate the need for a chiller!!!!!!
Nothing is absolute, you are corect. But I had lots of fans and open back canopy and I saw 2 degree swing with my mh. Not saying it can't be done..... this hobby is full of improbabilities. But the likely hood is VERY high!!!!!!! (

acrylic51

Again what temp are we trying to maintain??? Some of the temps we run our reefs at are unrealistic in the wild!!!!!
I ran a tank with LumenArc III reflectors mounted 10" off water surface (4 of them to be exact), and tank located in my garage, and my chiller was backup. I haven't seen a reflector that puts out so much light and heat.