would u use this t5 ho fixture on you 235 tank

michael1972

71'' long X 15'' wide and 2.5'' tall
12 X 80 Watt T5 HO Reflectors are the best in the industry- German Polished Independent Reflectors.
6-10k (sunlight bulbs) INCLUDED
6- actinic bulbs included –( Blue bulbs) INCLUDED
8- 1 watt Blue LED's included (moonlights!)
if i have a 6ft long 28in deep 24in front to back with a LOT of rock ?

sickboy

Wow, that is a lot of light. But, I'm not sure the T5's would penetrate to the bottom. Usually the cut-off is 24", but with 12 bulbs...that bring the argument to another level. I love my T5's, but you would want to see how they rated that deep.

michael1972

Originally Posted by sickboy
http:///forum/post/2750990
Wow, that is a lot of light. But, I'm not sure the T5's would penetrate to the bottom. Usually the cut-off is 24", but with 12 bulbs...that bring the argument to another level. I love my T5's, but you would want to see how they rated that deep.
i have a lot of rock so i dont think it would be that deep i want to make a sand area but i think i have way two much rock.
Originally Posted by WangoTango

http:///forum/post/2751085
Sounds goood to me. Who makes it?
-Justin
work horse is the balast i dont know if it is a over driven bulb and dont know the names of the bulb it is an _-__y item i saw dont know much about them.

wangotango

No the workhorse doesn't overdrive the bulbs, only Icecap.
Just my opinion but be ware of "the bay of the e" brand unspecified stuff.
-Justin

reefraff

Beware
Workhorse ballasts are not a true T5 ballast. They are flat lying about "Best reflectors in the industry". With 12 lamps in 15" of space there is no way the reflectors are effective. The Nova Extreme Pro Reflectors aren't all that great and they are like 1 3/4 inches wide. That would make a 12 lamp fixture 21" wide.

wattsupdoc

There is nothing at all wrong with the workhorse ballast. I have been running one for 2 years now. With no problems.
I would put that on my tank, yes.

michael1972

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2752568
Beware
Workhorse ballasts are not a true T5 ballast. They are flat lying about "Best reflectors in the industry". With 12 lamps in 15" of space there is no way the reflectors are effective. The Nova Extreme Pro Reflectors aren't all that great and they are like 1 3/4 inches wide. That would make a 12 lamp fixture 21" wide.
i was thinking about that also it didnt make sence they are fixed and not attached to the light so it could not be moved like some of the good reflectors. i have about 4 icecap 660s just sitting around the house does any one know of a good light and reflector and t5 end caps may be i will diy and make my own lights?
pm me or send me an email michael1mailcitycom AT hotmail.com
thank you for your help.

wattsupdoc

Definitely you can get either ice cap, or tek, or sunlight supply reflectors and then the end caps. I would do the 60" jobbers if it were me. But you'll only get 6 of them across a 18" tank. And it'll be cramming them in there. ^ though should be enough. Though the 235 is probably 24in ? So you could do 8 easily. The Geek, the Cave, the depot, I'm pretty sure has all of what you need. I know for sure the geek does.

reefraff

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
http:///forum/post/2753180
There is nothing at all wrong with the workhorse ballast. I have been running one for 2 years now. With no problems.
I would put that on my tank, yes.
Nothing wrong except they dont use the proper programed start method T5 lamps are designed to work with nor do they have end of life protection circuits to prevent old lamps from melting down the endcaps or wiring due to excessive current draw. They work if thats all thats in the budget but the real T5 ballasts perform a little better on a new lamp and as the lamps age the excess coating blown off the electrodes from improper starting will effect the output even more when using the Workhorse. There is a reason to use Workhorses on 39 watt lamps in a fixture because there are no ballasts capable of running 4 39 watt lamps that are true T5 units. Using them on 54 watt units is just a way to cut costs

reefraff

Originally Posted by MICHAEL1972
http:///forum/post/2753201
i was thinking about that also it didnt make sence they are fixed and not attached to the light so it could not be moved like some of the good reflectors. i have about 4 icecap 660s just sitting around the house does any one know of a good light and reflector and t5 end caps may be i will diy and make my own lights?
pm me or send me an email michael1mailcitycom AT hotmail.com
thank you for your help.
Sent you an e-mail

wattsupdoc

IMO a programmed start ballast is not necessary for an aquarium lamp. Unless it's being switched on multiple times a day, it will not greatly reduce the life of the lamp. Since the lamp should be replaced well before the expected lifespan of the lamp is up, then it is not a function that is necessary. Now certainly end of life technology can have some benefit when bulb failure occurs prematurely, which happens from time to time. However, instant start should not be the cause on a lamp that is only started once or twice per day. Premature failure can lead to instances where things get pretty warm. Melting can occur, but integrated fuse protection, which I believe the workhorse does have, can prevent this from becoming a major issue.
I dunno, you could have one that started a fire. I personally have never seen it happen, or heard of it. As a matter of fact, I have changed many old magnetic ballasts out, many, many, had leaked tar from the coils. Were to hot to even touch. But NONE of them caught fire. These ballasts never had any end of life protection. Of course mounting any ballast directly on a wooden surface is a bad idea.
I'm not saying that end of life technology is not a good thing. Nor am I saying it isn't useful. However I am saying that just because the workhorse doesn't have it, doesn't make it a bad ballast.