Would you do this? And do you think its a good Idea?

stuckinfla

I will soon be upgrading from a 55 to 180 in the near future. That means alot of more rock will be needed. I have a way to add alot of nice pourus rock without costing me a penny. Attached is one piece that I put in my 5gl about 2 months ago for the hell of it. Looks pretty good! I live in Florida, and when you dig 2 feet, you start hitting coral. I cleaned this piece, let it dry and then put it in. After the 180 is set up, I want to use the 55 to cure some live rock for the 180 and want to add some of this "base" rock from my yard. What are your opinions on this. ps.......water quality in the 5gl is perfect!!

reefer44

i bought base rock for my tank from the florida "grave yards" and it just needs to be washed and then it works great......you can see pics of it in this forum...under my 180g setup
Brad

stuckinfla

I can get it from my front yard where there is a 10'x10' hole where my 80 foot tree used to be (before hurricane Francise):rolleyes:

debbie g

I already told you I'm moving to Florida because of your rock find! Thats a pretty darn high opinion I think!
:cheer: :happy: :jumping:

van888

That coral looks absolutly beautiful. Is that the base of your ground out side, coral substrate? You could start your own base rock store.

stuckinfla

Todd - Red is plating coral....All life on rock (except for star) is from a small piece of sponge my hubby hooked while fishing. No way I was putting into my display so I set up the 5gl just for that. Also came with a pistol!
Van - Yes, you cannot dig in Florida without hitting coral. Its every where down here. Now all I need to do is hit the mother load...... cpl of 20pd pieces. Ill keep looking.
(ps......it is a pain when im doing my gardening)
Debbie.......Thank you:D

shawnts106

AMAZING! I would use it! just Love that stuff... after a while of aquacultureing.. it would be the absolute BOMB!!!
way cool!!! BTW the first pic... how long have you had it in that tank?? LOOKS to be a couple of months old... how long??

stuckinfla

Been only 2months. For some reason the stuff in the 5gl spreads alot faster that in my 55(except the hair algea im battling in there!) Thanks for all the replys....I gotta go dig now:D

shawnts106

LOL... WOW REALLY AMAZING... want to aqua culture some for me... ill pay for it... LOL!!!!
you should open a store with that mess!! wowwwwww ahhhhhhh!

stuckinfla

Went to 2 constuction sites today looking for some nice pieces, but here in Fla, I found out today, we are so flat, that they have to fill the sites and not dig!!:nope: I'll keep lookin & keep ya posted.

streetdoc

Hey Stuck. Use it!! I have found a lot of rock over here in Naples that looks like that and I have found some that must have come from an aquafier as porous and knarley as it is. I have put a few pieces of it in my reef for kicks and it has started growing coraline...how can you go wrong? I have more of it outside but it is dark now. I will try to get a pic of it and post it tomorrow after work. If you others want some so bad you are willing to move to Fla...don't. I'm sure I would be able to send some your way.