WOW feather duster question

Ok so how do feather dusters become worms? Like I noticed a month ago in my tank i had these weird white domes on my rock. And I had this white tents too, kinda like tent worms. And there were these weird larva type worms that were half the size of a grain or rice. Well i look today and i found a feather duster. Then i look tonight and i have found at least 10 more!!!

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Bountyhunter23
http:///forum/post/2962065
Ok so how do feather dusters become worms? Like I noticed a month ago in my tank i had these weird white domes on my rock. And I had this white tents too, kinda like tent worms. And there were these weird larva type worms that were half the size of a grain or rice. Well i look today and i found a feather duster. Then i look tonight and i have found at least 10 more!!!
Feather dusters are worms. They build tubes and then grow a plume to filter out nutrients...
It's cool that you have a bunch! I wish I had some. I am stuck with buying the giant ones. I don't believe that they undergo metamorphasis, they just build a home and grow some feathers.

Well i mean i had one a long time ago, and im not sure if the small larva worm things were them. But since then i havent seen any larva.

directvguy

I just noticed some of these in my tank. Are they a good thing? My tank has been setup for 6 or 7 weeks now and I just added livestock about 6 days ago.

hlcroghan

They are filter feeders..........I think they are nice. You could add some phytoplankton in there for them to eat periodically.

defcon11

There is probably no real need to add any food for them. They will most likely be able to get all the food they need from the bio column. They are a good thing to have in your tank, I have 4 I can see, maybe more I can't. It means that your ecosystem is building nicely.

I just wanted to know how they become worm? I had a serious nitrate problem a month ago. And now i have 10+ feather dusters. my tank is 2 years old, and the only sign i saw were these colones of worm/larva type things?