WOW...I though I was seeing things!

arjayl

I woke up at 4:00 am to findthis monster moving along the sand. It looked like it was 16-24" completly steched out. I caught it and away it goes. It seems a bit too big for my tank! :scared: :scared: I measured it at 8.5" inches in the ziplock but it was hardly extended!

arjayl

Gave it away already...Just seems a little too much for a 55 gal. You know the saying.."where theres smoke, thers fire" I'm sure there are some more big ones in there and I will post before giving away to my friend. I agree that they are harmless but with something that size, I could see it causing problems if I had a distressed fish or coral...They have to eat something! :thinking:

arjayl

Torch Coral (11 heads),
Astrangia,
Blue, Red, Green, Elephant Ear Mushrooms,
Green Star Polyps,
Zoos (Brown, Orange),
Yellow Polyps,
Pumping Xenias (Silver Tip),
Ricordia
#100 Live rock
6" Sand/Crushed Coral substrate
Clarki Clown (in the fuge...destroys too many corals by trying to bed with them),
Yellow Jawfish,
SailFin Tang
3 Emerald Crabs,
20 or so Blue legs,
Coral Banded Shrimp,
Mexican Turvo Snail,
Fighting Conch,
4 Cleaner Clams (Bought at Jewel)

murph145

yeah thats one big bristle!!!
ive only found some that are an inch or slightly longer in my 100 gallon i have pleantly of small ones but ive never seen one that big.... its kinda like finding the lockness monster in your fish tank.... i would get rid of it too something that big could really do some damage if it turned evil

danedodger

Yeah, the general consesus seems to be that at worst they're harmless and may even help a tank out a lot by coming out at night to clean detrius and such. It's illogical of me, I mean I have no problem handling all kinds of reptiles, scorpions, tarantulas...but these guys just give me the WIGGINS!!!!! EEEEEWWWWW!!!!!

kaseykagan

How long do you think he was in there before you found him? I always wonder what may be in our rock! We just lost our Ritteri Anomone. Something seemed to be eating him during the nite, but I couldn't see anything!

arjayl

My guess by the size is years. Another guess is that if any corals were distressed, he would and could finish them off. I probably have thousands (if not mkore) of these guys in the much much smaller version. It just suprised me that I have never seen it before and I havent added anything in years. Oh well, maybe it was the Queen Worm of the tank

petjunkie

Okay, I have to ask how you caught that monster. Did you just scoop him up in a net or what. If I were ever confronted with something like that I would have to take it out or else I would never be able to stick my arm in the tank again but I think I would freak out and throw him across the room or something. Ick!!!

monalisa

Geez...that's a huge bristle worm!! I had some of those in my tank when I first started it. the biggest one was about 4" long...haven't seen it for quite a while...hmmmm...4:00 a.m., eh?? :thinking: I swear, I would have to hire someone to get something like that out of my tank, yuck!!
Lisa :happyfish

mudplayerx

I saw one at the lfs about 2+ feet before. It looked like a prehistoric animal with big armored plates. Gave me the willies but it was still cool to look at knowing that they have been around since the time of dinosaurs.