WOW! Refractometer vs Hydrometer (New people read!)

cableguy

I just wanted to create this to remind new people to buy a Refractometer / reinforce the idea that hydrometers are junk.
I havent filled my tank in about 6 days now because of my goofy RO unit so I kept checking my SG with the 10$ hydrometer and it went from about 1.022 to 1.023, and I've lost about 3-5 gallons. I really didnt think anything of it.
So I just calibrated my Refractometer that I got earlier in the week, take a look at this:
Tested at 1:06am EST:
Refractometer: 1.027
Hydrometer: 1.022
Ummm yeah, I need to get that RO water in there ASAP.

Everyone please buy a Refractometer!

sepulatian

I will share this again for new people to the hobby who think that a swing arm hydrometer will work. I was VERY meticulous about keeping my SG at EXACTLY 1.025 with my hydrometer. I went out of my way to test all of the time and do this thing right! Yep, bought my refractometer and found out that the SG had been at 1.032 all of that time... too high... Lesson is? Buy a refractometer! It is money well spent. Swing arms are garbage. Why spend all of that money on fish, sand, rock, etc. then skimp on the important things that will keep them healthy? Refractometers are a must.

dingus890

Thanks for this post. I have been in the hobby 2 years but never really looked into getting a Refractometer. I just bought one online tonight!

rlablan

I used a hydrometer for a long time. about my 1st year in the hobby. Never had huge issues. I was told that they were not that good but I kept using it. I didn't want to spend that kinda money.
I finally did receive a very nice refractometer for xmas this past year. What a great feeling to know that my levels are really where they say that they are. I sleep so much better now... knowing that.
I wish I would have just spent the money in the first place.

tur4k

The upside is that I never would have found these forums if I hadn't been freaking out because my hydrometer was reading off the charts. I was looking for help and fast. I was ready to start massive water changes to bring my SG down. It turns out that I had a couple of microbubbles sticking to the swing arm of the hydrometer.
After beating the hydrometer like a rented mule to get the bubbles off, it turned out that my SG was fine. I rushed out and purchased a refractometer. It turns out my SG was actually too low.

cableguy

I'd just like to point out that the refractometer I got was around 50 bucks. There are some that are 100+ and then there are some that are 20-30 dollars. I'd bet that even the 20-30 dollar one is more accurate than the hydrometer.

E

eric b 125

i used a hydrometer until i started noticing ich on my hippo tang. i had to get a refractometer to accurately hypo my fish. it is definately a weight off my shoulders to not have to rely on a piece of equipment that i felt was guessing the results.

z06 vette

Just wanted to point out that the difference that the 5 gallons made was not that drastic with respect to what your intial SG was. If this is in your 75 gallons, than the initial SG was 1.025. The point still remains, in that Refractometers are more accurate than Hydrometers.

florida joe

I will share this again for new people to the hobby who think that a swing arm hydrometer will work.
SIR Q yes fine what ever. How about sharing some of your time with your old friends. nice to see your back from Hawaii

noah's nemo

I will say however,i used a glass floating one for 2 years.I did get a refract when i did my hypo last year and found my glass hydro to be only .002 off.....not bad.I do use the refract now though,but the glass hyrdo are a step or 2 above the swing arms..

speg

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3257135
I will say however,i used a glass floating one for 2 years.I did get a refract when i did my hypo last year and found my glass hydro to be only .002 off.....not bad.I do use the refract now though,but the glass hyrdo are a step or 2 above the swing arms..
.002 sounds bad to me.

noah's nemo

Nah,not to me,unless your doing hypo treatment.I kept my tank at 1.023 with the glass hydro ,only to find out it was 1.025 with the refract,so to me,thats not bad at all.Back to the original thought ,refracts are best

xcali1985

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3257224
Nah,not to me,unless your doing hypo treatment.I kept my tank at 1.023 with the glass hydro ,only to find out it was 1.025 with the refract,so to me,thats not bad at all.Back to the original thought ,refracts are best

Problem is with extended use and time it will become more and more off. Knowing exact values is critical in this hobby especially if you are fighting problems.

dingus890

I got my RHS 10ATC refractometer today. And I am really happy to say my IO hydrometer wasn't to off. My hyrdometer read 1.025(which I keep all my reef tanks at) and the refractometer read 1.026. I am really glad I made the investmeant. It was about $47.00 plus shipping. Like someone else said you invest hundreds and some thousands of dollars on livestock and most of us rely only on an $8.00 plastic swing arm hyrdrometer for salinity. Kinda scary. Plus I would have to replace my hydrometer every 4-5 months. At $8.00-$15.00 each, I will save money and my livestock in the long run.

daftboy

I use the C-Scope by JBJ i think it was about $60 ... When I first started my tank i used a swing arm...man that thing would give me readings all over the place then after 3 months the arm broke.. probably one of the better investments I've made

mrdc

I got a $50 one off e-bay. Not sure if one is better than another. I don't know how you can tell unless you a research brand named ones.