Wow... So Is It Really This Difficult?

txstyle

Or is it just a plethora of info on this hobby?

Because I'm begining to wonder if I'm in for some sort of lifechanging phenomina... :scared:
I was told that freshwater can be as if not even more of a task.
Not that I'm not up for a challenge, but sheesh... I don't won't to be like
before I even get started.
So what say you folks who've had setups for 6+ mos?

I'm with you man. I'm just starting out as well and its been tough sifting through all the info I have got so far. I don't even have fish yet and I'm stressing everyday, trying to learn more and make sure everything is good. I'm guessing it gets better haha.

rbaldino

I had fresh water fish for years, from guppies to cichlids. Then I got into saltwater and eventually got rid of all my freshwater stuff. I wouldn't say that one is really easier than the other, though saltwater does take a bit more effort. What I have found, though, is that if you invest in the right setup, saltwater can be done much more successfully. I always had freshwater fish dying, but my saltwater fish have lived for years. I have a tomato clown right now that's at least 10 years old. In my opinion, the key is live rock, and the way it allows you to create a mini-ecosystem in a tank. perhaps this can be done with a planted freshwater tank, though that's got to be harder to put together and maintain than placing rock in the tank.

bpd

Difficult? I wouldnt say it is difficult. A challenge? yes of course
A little reading now will save you tons of headaches later.
Decide what you want.. what you HAVE to have and go from there. I'd also be prepared to figure out what you can't have. Some things just do not work together.
Figure out what you can afford to spend. Be prepared to spend that and more.
And... well frankly, if you're not a patient person, just stop now. You cannot rush anything. can't rush the cycle, can't add 20 fish at once, etc etc.

skipperdz

i have a 12g nano and its my 3rd overall tank. its really not that hard if you take your time with it. think over what you want...tank size, what fish, fish only vs reef. when you know what tank size u want you can go buy/set that up for the cycle. once its cycling you can do more research on the fish/inverts you want ie- what can go with what/what wont. by the time you did your research youll be able to add fish ( one at a time would be best, sometimes 2 ) and if you have questions ask here. or if you have a nano tank, in that section and so on. this forum is extremely helpful and you will learn easily from this site.
oh yea make sure you have the $$$ flow before hand and shop around for prices before you get started because it will cost you in the beginning to get it set up. can check the classifieds here for good deals! i just got a 55g long tank and stand for $165 and a wet dry for $80!
if you keep on top of everything this wont be an expensive hobby after you set everything up, it gets expensive when ya mess something up or slack off!
best of luck on your endevors!

autofreak44

srry i havent had a tank for 6 months, but all i know is that the more you read, the more you will be detured. dont get me wrong, do your research, but i suggest talkin to people like us on this sight. the books for a beginer can be confusing, but i finaly just said im going for it, and im glad i did. all im saying is dont be discouraged by all the tech stuff, you will learn quickly.

J

jrthomas40

i have had mine for about 6 months...but i have found out that everybody does theirs differently and the REAL and TRUE way is to find your own path....it helps to ask for advice cuz goodness knows i have...lol...but then take that advice and taylor it for you...TRIAL and ERROR, PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE are keys....but never stop learning or reading...i am still on this site everyday researching and reading...heck i have a THESIS proposal due and i spend more time reading the stuff on this site than i do the papers for my proposal...lol

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by autofreak44
srry i havent had a tank for 6 months, but all i know is that the more you read, the more you will be detured. dont get me wrong, do your research, but i suggest talkin to people like us on this sight. the books for a beginer can be confusing, but i finaly just said im going for it, and im glad i did. all im saying is dont be discouraged by all the tech stuff, you will learn quickly.

i never bought one of those beginner books, thought about it but never did, just stayed on this site reading and asking tons of questions then had a trial and error session....luckily the site has helped out and i have avoided most of the major beginner issues
but to answer your question no its not really that hard...just seems that way in the beginning....EXPENSIVE but not really that hard

bgrae001

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE

Because I'm begining to wonder if I'm in for some sort of lifechanging phenomina... :scared:
SW can be life changing! I respect the information I get from this site, but you have to choose what you want to do. My best suggestion is to ask yourself what are your long term goals for this tank and do it right from the begining. It's a waste of money if you have to keep upgrading your equipment, unless you plan on using that equpment on another tank down the road. I have been doing SW for 4 years and I wish I would have started when I was yonger, but I was afraid because I didn't know what I was doing and we didn't have this great invention called the internet back then, also equipment was more expensie.
So have a plan for your overall goal and do your research! It really sucks when you buy a fish and findout after you get it home that its going to eat everything else in your tank.

Good luck and most of all have fun!

txstyle

Fantsatic replies!
Very grateful for the words of encouragement. And I new going in that $ is a long term factor, although I'd like to be wise and avoid common mishaps. Lpks like I came to the right place.
Can u guys elaborate on the whole cycle process?
General rule of thumb?
Most common things to avoid from the jump?

pikapp168

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE

I am a total newbie and once you get into it, its not that hard. You just have to make it part of your daily routine. Check the water. You have little kits that tell you what your water looks like. Usually with a water change or adding something it will correct you water. So really it's not to bad. It is very expensive to start up. I have a 75G and I am well invested in it. About 1200-1300 or more now. So just be patient and you'll be fine. :happyfish

monalisa

I agree completely with everyone here. If you are truly interested in pursuing this hobby (and it IS a hobby), it is a challenge, but it is SO rewarding!! Just take your time, decide what you want as a set up, follow the set up advice on this board, then monitor. Regular maintenance is key in this hobby, and if things start to go look shady...post here, but don't expect anything to happen overnight in your tank...nothing does. Patience, patience, patience...
You're going to do just fine. Glad you joined the forums here to research...lots of extremely knowledgable peeps on this site.
Best of luck, and post as often as you can. Oh!! and WELCOME!!
Lisa :happyfish