WOW Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt

muskyhunte

Good Morning
First I must say WOW what mega difference in my tank form making the change from Oceanic to Tropic Marin Pro Reef. With the Oceanic salt my corals were open and looked nice. But I made the change and WOW they have never and I mean neve bin this far open. My LFS receive 4 200 gallon buckets and I thought hay if im going to be a serious reef keeper its time to buy the best salt. All I can say it was well worth the money. Tropic Marin Pro Reef might cost a little more but its worth it.
I will be posting picture soon of my reef tank.

golfish

Originally posted by shawnts106
Are you sure that its just not from just doing a waterchange???

Or maybe your a salesperson..There's really not much that makes this salt better then the others, unless the stuff you have been using is bad like the last bucket of Oceanic I bought.
FWIW, I switched to TM . I can't find IO in buckets, the one bucket of Oceanic I bought turned out to be a bad batch so now TM is going in the tank towards the end of the week.

shawnts106

There's really not much that makes this salt better then the others, unless the stuff you have been using is bad like the last bucket of Oceanic I bought.
well.. yeah, just the traces and major elements and how well the salt is duplicated to match the actual elements that are in the ocean in the right perportions... I dissagree on that one thing you said..... If they match the exact ,or very near, element quantitys in the ocean to the salt then it makes a world of difference..
If you experienced a very obveous change in your corals appearance than it is of course worth looking into... post some pics of before and after... let us be the judge... I actually and just about to purchase some of this salt and the 2 part B Ionic forula that they have that I have been DESPARATLY WANTING TO FIND SOOO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!
I owe you a HUGE thanks for that information!!!!!!
:)

muskyhunte

Go the to TM web sight and read up on theis Pro Reef salt. Im telling every one you will not need to add nothing to you tank. There are 70 trace elements in the pro reef salt. I changed my tank over fro Oceanic and dont get me wrong when I was uing Oceanic my corals were nice but not as nice as they are now. And I am very strict maintance program on my reef tank. Thie had nothing to do with my LFS talking me into buying the saly, I talked then into getting the salt in for me to try and im glad they did.

golfish

Originally posted by shawnts106
well.. yeah, just the traces and major elements and how well the salt is duplicated to match the actual elements that are in the ocean in the right perportions...
:)

I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya..

golfish

Originally posted by muskyhunte
golfish
Your TM user. Did you try the new pro reef salt yet. Its awsome.

Muskyhunte,
I've read all about it. I'm sure its a good salt mix and I'll probably use it when and if it becomes available locally but its not going to come close to the claims you've made. To be honest I really don't care much about the trace elements and such. I'm looking for a mix that is consistent. My calcium Reactor does the rest.

T

thomas712

Consistancy sure would be nice. I've been on 4 or 5 different salt mixes now. Currently its Oceanic, I have not run into the problems that golfish has, but then many of you folks didn't have the deadly batch of Instant Ocean that I had either. Can't even remember the salt that I started out with years ago, but it also wound up lacking, then I heard it was downgraded to a lobster salt, whatever that meant?
Instant Ocean has failed me with consistancy time and time again.
Reef cyrstals was alright but didn't have enough umph in it.
TM- have not tried the Pro version but then why would they have a lesser version? why would you want less?
Like the man said "consistancy would be nice" in any salt that I buy. Bad batches have happend before and will happen again.
Advertising is just that. Putting a product, any product, in the best possible light in order to make the public gobble it up.
Muskyhunte - I'm glad your tank loved the new salt, but you know, I'm willing to bet that the bucket of TMpro you purchased would not be the same as the one I might purchase in my town, unless they came from the same batch, even then it still might be off.
The best thing you can do is to mix up your first batch from a new bucket or bag then test it, jot down the results, then the next new one you get test it again and compare results.
.This might be worth a sticky to take a poll for folks to post there test results on water change water
Thomas

jamnman

Thomas712,
What do you mean by Reef Crystals didn't have enough umph in it?
I tested the CA and ALK and they were both good.
CA 440 ALK 12DKH

T

thomas712

Maybe yours did, but I had to personally contact them about a year and a half ago to find out what the problem with my batches were.
Like I said, and has been said by others, there can be bad, or poor batches.
Golfish was running what? 1600 magnesium in his Oceanic, mine was running only 1400. Thats kindof a big difference don't you think for the so called same salt?
inconsistancy can happen in anything.

jamnman

That is exactly what happened to me on my last 200g bucket of Oceanic.
Mg off the chart.
Plus every time I did a water change I would get a diatom bloom.

shawna

salt being bad can kill a tank? I had had a ttc about 2 months ago right after a water change I watched every thing die in a few hours after. I blamed an anemonie .... now you have me wondering!

muskyhunte

All I can tell you guys is that I made the change from Oceanic to TM Pro Reef and "WOW" and I will say it again "WOW" what a much better salt.

muskyhunte

I can also tell you guys that I was adding all kinds of stuff to my tank when I was using the Oceanis. Now I am adding just Zoomax, Phytomax and Chromamax for my corals. My calcium level stays at 450 and does not move. I check it every day. Make the change and you will see.

golfish

Originally posted by Thomas712
Golfish was running what? 1600 magnesium in his Oceanic, mine was running only 1400. Thats kindof a big difference don't you think for the so called same salt?

I've mixed up 3 different salt mixes in the last month, all at 35 salinity The magnesium levels on the Oceanic was 1600, the IO was 1350 and the reg TM is 1280...I guess I'll keep all three around to adjust my mag levels.

muskyhunte

I was using oceanic and never had a problem but my corals were so so. This is the best my reef tank has looked after i went to TM Pro Reef.

muskyhunte

when using oceanic my corals were not open like this. I am still looking for some tips on making my reef tank better. should I use a brighter back griund. I am in the process getting stronger lighting. Hope to have them in a couple of weeks. Please give me some feed bak on my tank.