*****...WOW!

gilbert

Originally Posted by scottnlisa
http:///forum/post/3290329
OMg, went to ***** a couple days ago. I am boycotting them. They had an angelfish and coral beauty in the same tank. The angel fish had so much ich on it, you really couldn't see the color of it. The coral beauty had a huge white pimple between it's eyes. I told the sales person what I saw. She said and I quote " This is my 2nd day. I know nothing about these fish" I told her that anybody would buy these fish and the fish are suffereing. Any of the other tanks tied into this one are ask risk of getting ich. She didn't care. I am so pissed. I am only buying from Wetpets now. I will make the 2 hour drive. Just had to vent.
How is keeping fish in this condition legal? If it were a dog or cat in someone's home, they would be arrested for animal cruelty. How is this any different?

kazooie

Because fish arn't furry and cuddel-able. So the animal right's people don't have much emotion to them?

gilbert

We should start this as a new thread. We kinda stole this one.
As for ideas, I think we should stop buying stuff from ***** and other big corporation-type businesses that have terrible livestock.

T

tiredoldman

I work for ***** right now and can give you all a little inside info. One to treat ICK the only "approved" method of dealing with it is fresh water dips.
We are suppose to remove the fish and treat them in dip cups if they have eye cloud or other bacterial problems. They only temperature acclimate the fish also. I admit that some petcos salt selection look like a joke. Many stores have people "running" the salt section that don't know what specific gravity is much less what the calcium level should be. So much for the bad news.
Now the good stuff. All of the clowns we carry at my store are tank raised. We also are carrying tank raised yellow tangs also. There are a few Petcos that do have experienced people running the aquatic sections. I have over 30 years dabbling in saltwater and even owned my own store in Stlouis. I have got my managers to turn a blind eye towards what I do in the fish section. This means that I often buy unapproved medicines to treat the fish myself. ***** wont let us run copper in our fish section because some idiot would mess up and put it in the invert section. We have a great and fairly healthy selection of fish in my store. I have also trained the fellow employees to call me any time the don't know for sure the right answer to a customers question. Does that mean that I think I know everything? NO way in hades. There a few customers that come in that I will talk to them for as long as I can picking their brains for new info. Any one who thinks they know everything about saltwater just proved how little they know. Anyone catch the article were some one is actually captive breeding Mandarin gobies
Just because one ***** was a fish dump don't think they all are. There are some stocked with healthy fish and at least on knowledgeable sales person.
PS I actually made more than most managers at the store until they threw a fit and got raises.

gemmy

I agree about the if one is a dump then don't believe they all are, but I think corporate needs to step in and enforce the rules better or give better training. I went to ***** to get my tank when I was getting started and they told me not to buy there tank because the sealant will corrod you need "special" saltwater sealant. I left and got my tank elsewhere.
The tank bred mandarins are on this site in the ORA section.

gilbert

Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
http:///forum/post/3297039
I work for ***** right now and can give you all a little inside info. One to treat ICK the only "approved" method of dealing with it is fresh water dips.
We are suppose to remove the fish and treat them in dip cups if they have eye cloud or other bacterial problems. They only temperature acclimate the fish also. I admit that some petcos salt selection look like a joke. Many stores have people "running" the salt section that don't know what specific gravity is much less what the calcium level should be. So much for the bad news.
Now the good stuff. All of the clowns we carry at my store are tank raised. We also are carrying tank raised yellow tangs also. There are a few Petcos that do have experienced people running the aquatic sections. I have over 30 years dabbling in saltwater and even owned my own store in Stlouis. I have got my managers to turn a blind eye towards what I do in the fish section. This means that I often buy unapproved medicines to treat the fish myself. ***** wont let us run copper in our fish section because some idiot would mess up and put it in the invert section. We have a great and fairly healthy selection of fish in my store. I have also trained the fellow employees to call me any time the don't know for sure the right answer to a customers question. Does that mean that I think I know everything? NO way in hades. There a few customers that come in that I will talk to them for as long as I can picking their brains for new info. Any one who thinks they know everything about saltwater just proved how little they know. Anyone catch the article were some one is actually captive breeding Mandarin gobies
Just because one ***** was a fish dump don't think they all are. There are some stocked with healthy fish and at least on knowledgeable sales person.
I agree with you completely. You're right. Some of these stores know what they're talking about. But in general, ***** doesn't know enough about saltwater tanks to justifiably keep them.

gilbert

Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
http:///forum/post/3297039
Now the good stuff. All of the clowns we carry at my store are tank raised. We also are carrying tank raised yellow tangs also.
Tank raised yellow tangs? Do you mean tank bred? Or caught young and raised in tanks? Because I thought noone had succeeded in breeding and raising any kind of tang as of yet.

hubbchappy

I have a local ***** here in central MA, where the young man running the fish dept. is very knowledgeable and has two or three tanks at home including a 220gal SW tank . He is extremely helpful with all of my questions, his tanks in the store are phenominal, and the corals tank he has set up there is stunning. He helped me get my first tank started, and everytime I go there he takes as much time as it takes to educate me and answer any questions I might have. I have visited several LFS stores within a 60 mile radius from my home(I live in the woods), and his tanks are by far the most well kept. When I originally started talking with him about SW, he did his best to warn me that this hobby was not cheap, nor for the half-hearted, and I am grateful that his passion is stronger than his pitch. He also recommended several good books about the hobby to read before I started, which have helped me a great deal as well. I know that when or if he leaves, the store will be hard pressed to replace him, and I will be hard pressed to find another good LFS, box or not. Until then I will continue to use that ***** for all my fish and tank needs. As for the others, I think that there should be some kind of inspector to ensure that the fish are not neglected and diseased, because I also have seen several stores where there were a lot of dead or diseased fish in the tanks and the response I got in pointing them out is we'll get to them eventually. Very Sad.