WPG?... wow!!!

shawnts106

OK, I was figureing up my MH That I might be getting and VHOS and I found that on my 75 gallon I would have about 7.6 WPG, is this too much with softies, LPS and SPS????
Just wondering... Im not to sure if it is or not!

shoreliner11

WPG isn't really the best indication on lighting. If I do wpg, my tank has 12.5, kinda overkill but sps love it. Certain softies and polyps don't like it all that much. They seem to open up more and spread faster in shaded areas of my tank. Most corals will do find under your lighting. But isn't the whole reason you are getting the lights is for sps? I would focus on making them happy, and think about lps and softies after.

nm reef

OMG....YES....it just might be.....BECAUSE on my 100 display THERE is over 10 WPG......
lol.......
but it works out just fine...a large assortment of corals and progressively more and more SPS types are added.
2x400 10K Ushios and 2x110 URI super actinics

shawnts106

But isn't the whole reason you are getting the lights is for sps?
That and color... mostly for the SPS, but also for color and just because I want them!
hehehe, yeah, im spoiled! HAHA
OMG....YES....it just might be.....BECAUSE on my 100 display THERE is over 10 WPG......
*GASP*, omg, it might just be, what to do what to doooo! LOL
WOW, ok I just wanted to make sure that this wasnt going to be to much... thats great now that you all have assured me that it will be ok!
thanks again, will I still be able to grow my LPS and softies under these extreme lighting conditions as well.. with little to no ill side effects?

T

thomas712

Yep I think NM and I have the same problem with WPG, mine is over 10wpg as well :D
So I think you will be ok shawnts106

T

thomas712

Yep I think NM and I have the same problem with WPG, mine is over 10wpg as well :D
So I think you will be ok shawnts106

shawnts106

OH YEAH, darn NM... your reef is really frying... you should watch out!
haha, ok, thats great, I just didnt want to smoke everything... any advise when I get them? ... what do I do to get all the corals use to it, I have a 2 foot leather by 2 foot by 1.5 feet... its hard to place him anywhere!!! LOL

dburr

Don't feel bad golfish, i'm at 4.6.

But the good news is, soon I will be at 6.266666666666667.:D :rolleyes:

golfish

Originally posted by dburr
Don't feel bad golfish, i'm at 4.6.

But the good news is, soon I will be at 6.266666666666667.:D :rolleyes:

that makes me feel much better:D So what are you up grading too?

shawnts106

But the good news is, soon I will be at 6.266666666666667
LOL! im at 5.8666666666666667 at the moment! lol
soon it will be around the 7wpg range.... YEAHHH!
GOODBYE 5.866... ok yeah you get it
and HELLOOWWW .. um, 7 rangeeeeeeee!
haha

nm reef

....golfish is lagging?
I'm betting a lot of reefkeepers wish for lag like yours.....lmao.....
:thinking:

shawnts106

WOW, 12!... has anyone ever heard of anyone having 15 plus wpg?.. would this be really bad..
OH I just thought of something * wow!* lol, what is the natural WPG of sunlight at about 1 to 5 feet!!??!!??!!??.. this should be interesting
Bang do you know???

squidd

OH I just thought of something * wow!* lol, what is the natural WPG of sunlight at about 1 to 5 feet!!??!!??!!??.. this should be interesting
"This" is where the "PAR" numbers start to come into play...:yes:
How much "usable" light are you getting at say 2' depth...and what does the Sun provide at the same depth..????
Four 500 watt halogens over a 90 gallon tank would be 22.222 "Watts/Gallon...But do you think you could grow SPS under it...???

dburr

So what are you up grading too?
Going from 175's to 250's.
I have 400 ballists, but dread the monthly bill. They just had a 10% hike here in CT.
I want to get one of those eletric spin things for the roof and sell them electricity.
Then i'll give them a hike.:yes: