Wrasse and trigger fish question

paulyt123

I am looking to add a wrasse to my fish tank. I have a FOWLR 125 gallon tank. My concern is that I have snails and 2 cleaner shrimp. My cleaners are awesome, and I also like my snails. Therefore which wrasses will be 100% safe for my cleaner shrimp and snails. I had a wrasse 2 years age that did a number on all my snails, and shrimp.
Which wrasse will not attack shrimp and snails? I plan on keeping the wrasse for many years, therefore when the wrasse gets to be an adult it still has to be shrimp and snail safe.
I am assuming all triggers are out of the question.
Thank you for your help!!!

aquaknight

https://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/category_display.php?keywords=&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1&parent_category=4&x=5&y=14
// -- Click the image above. Scroll all the way down till you find "Reef Safe Wrasses"
.|.|
For triggers, only those in the Xanthichthys
genus tend to be safe. It's not a guarantee, but generally they will be fine with your cleaner shrimp and snails. The smaller trigger you buy, the safer they tend to be. This triggers include the Blue Jaw, Sargassum (aka Red-Tailed), and Crosshatch.

srfisher17

I seldom disagree with AquaKnight; but I agree with Scott Michael (damn name dropper!) and wouldn't trust any of these triggers with shrimp, especially when the trigger is grown. The Sargassum I have now and the Crosshatches I had prior to Katrina would scarf any shrimp. These open water triggers often feed under floating weed, eating anything they can find, including shrimp. Some may not, but you sound like you're not willing any chances.

paulyt123

Does reef safe wrasses mean they won't nip at Corals or does it mean they won't go after shrimp and snails? According to the Marine Fishes book some of those fish listed on this website as reef safe has warnings that they could eat ornamental shrimp.
I am looking only for 1 wrasse that is 100% safe for cleaner shrimp. I have had my cleaners for some time, and I would hate to see them turn into food.
Any insight/ personal experience on which wrasse I should get would be greatly appreciated.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by paulyt123
http:///forum/post/3170196
Does reef safe wrasses mean they won't nip at Corals or does it mean they won't go after shrimp and snails? According to the Marine Fishes book some of those fish listed on this website as reef safe has warnings that they could eat ornamental shrimp.
I am looking only for 1 wrasse that is 100% safe for cleaner shrimp. I have had my cleaners for some time, and I would hate to see them turn into food.
Any insight/ personal experience on which wrasse I should get would be greatly appreciated.
100% is a very tough word to use in this hobby. IME & IMO, there are exceptions to everything. I'll bet someone, somewhere has kept a Clown Trigger with ornamental shrimp for years. BTW; "reef safe" seems to have lots of meanings. To some, like me, it means "safe with corals" Here's what another online dealer says about a wrasse that is labeled reef safe, you decide.
"It is constantly searching for live foods in the form of small crustaceans like pyramidellid snails and commensal flatworms. When full grown, mature Mystery Wrasse may take a liking to smaller ornamental shrimp that are introduced after the wrasse is established in the reef aquarium."

srfisher17

Originally Posted by paulyt123
http:///forum/post/3170196
100% is a very tough word to use in this hobby. IME & IMO, there are exceptions to everything. I'll bet someone, somewhere has kept a Clown Trigger with ornamental shrimp for years.

detguy313

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3170211
100% is a very tough word to use in this hobby. IME & IMO, there are exceptions to everything. I'll bet someone, somewhere has kept a Clown Trigger with ornamental shrimp for years. BTW; "reef safe" seems to have lots of meanings. To some, like me, it means "safe with corals" Here's what another online dealer says about a wrasse that is labeled reef safe, you decide.
"It is constantly searching for live foods in the form of small crustaceans like pyramidellid snails and commensal flatworms. When full grown, mature Mystery Wrasse may take a liking to smaller ornamental shrimp that are introduced after the wrasse is established in the reef aquarium."
i could not agree more..i have kept a few fairy wrasses that were well fed 3 times a day and had them take out a few shrimp so i would never say anything is 100% but most of the time the reef safe wrasses tend to be ok with shrimp and snails...as for the triggers i would not trust any of them

paulyt123

Sorry about the delay in the response. Work has been crazy.
The fish that I currently have is:
1) Yellow tang
2) orange shoulder tang
3) Juvenille Koran angel
4) flame angel
5) 2 maroon clowns
6) 2 cleaner shrimp
7) 5 various snails
Therefore which wrasses would have the best probablility of not eating my cleaner shrimps? I am just looking to add 1 wrasse.