wrasse missing

c_bell

I bought a red coris wrasse about a week ago and he went stright into the sand as soon as he was acclimated. He came out the next day, but when i was cleaning the tank he went back into the sand and I havent seen him since, this was about four days ago. I know its typical wrasse behavior to hide in the sand but is it normal for them to be gone for so long? Should I go in and look for him or just leave him be and hope he will come out when he is ready?

ca62296

let him be! when he gets hungary he will come out and look for food, it is their nature to hide, my blue headed wrasse likes to hide inside the whale barnacle i have in my tank. also, he will probably come out once you turn the tank light off.

c_bell

yeah i figured he would come out if he got hungry enough. I've been watching the tank for a couple of nights now thinking he may come out at night, but I havent seen him. Oh well I'm sure he will turn up sooner of later. :rolleyes:

shive

c,my dragon wrassel was missing-we thought the crabs got him-didn't see him for about a month-looked with the flashlite at nite,looked for him in the day ect-i change to a large tank about two weeks ago..took almost all the sand and water out of the 55--went to work and when i got home i walked by the almost empty 55 gallon-THERE WAS MY SPIKE LAYING ON HIS SIDE-you never saw an old chick move so fast.i scopped him up-put him in the new tank..he swam around a bit,than drove into the sand..we see him about every other day now--i just make sure food is in the tank when hes out:D

shadow678

Hey C,
Go Woodland Highlanders. lol Sorry, originally from Conroe myself, so just nice to see someone from an area I know. How big is your tank? Just wondering. Many people buy the red coris, not knowing that it requires a 100-gal. and LFS' seem to "overlook" this suggestion when it comes down to selling fish.

c_bell

Shadow he is in a 90 ga. with a 20 gal sump. This should be Ok for now if he needs a bigger tank in the future im sure i'll up grade, but i just upgraded my 55 gal to the 90 gal.