wrasse problem

craig110768

Hi
I had to take out my wrasse (4 inches) out of of the tank last night, as my clown, damsel and other fish are being chased around the tank continiously. It Seemed to have been getting worse each day.
I know the wrasee is an active fish but, when I added him, he just seemed to disrupt the whole community in there.
Has anyone else experienced the same thing?
Craig

jumpfrog

I think the larger wrasses are better suited for an aggressive type setup. Need something to help keep them in their place. Also, tank size is important. If the tank is too small it will claim the "entire" tank as it's territory.
Your community will probably be happier without him.
Good Luck!

a_fender69

I bet you are referring to a lunare wrasse (green body with a multicolor head, yellow tail). These are very common in lfs's and get large and very mean. I am not surprised at all.

katfish50

My'n is about two months in the tank...and today I've decided back to the lfs he goes. I have had three fish die since he's been in and today I caught him pulling the legs off my shrimp...how did you catch yours? I tried leaving food in a net at feeding time but he wouldn't go for it.

craig110768

Yes, its a lunar wrasse.
I found the best way to catch him was to starting feed him at the surface real slowly so he is waiting for more food, and while he's eating, use the net - worked fine - I was quite surprised.
I found that I had to have the net actually in the water beforew feeding as he is just too quick.
Hope that helps.

craig110768

If a lunar wrasse is chasing my other fish around the tank, is there another kind of wrasse that might be more suitable - I can then do an exchange?
Thanks
Craig

a_fender69

Here are some good wrasse's:
six line
all fairy wrasse's
yellow coris(bannana) wrasse
these are pretty good and typical good fish