Wrasse

jditton

I would like to add a wrasse to a tank (70 gal) which contains a huma huma and hippo. It dose not have sand it has crushed coral, I was thinking opf a paddlefin or lunare. Would they be ok in this size tank and with the coral.
TIA

scubadoo

Both are not reef safe and require lots of live rock and a sand base to bury themselves. Tank size is boderline for adults too....my opinion...no to both.
Where in AZ are you located?

jditton

I live in Willcox Thanks for the advice thats what I figured I was at your lfs off of Fry but the guy was so rude we left without buying anything, not much of a selection anyway heading to Tucson Wed.
Thanks

scubadoo

Yes, they are not very friendly folks in that store. Let me know if you see any nice live rock that is cured in Tucson.
I worked for six months in WIllcox. I enjoyed a good burger over at Carter's. My email is superidiot@cox.net
That lfs is really expensive. THere was another store on the other side of Fry but they moved and no longer carry saltwater fish. Friendlier folk and the prices were better. The owner told me that other store was buying his saltwater fish and reselling them.
That lfs only caries small fish and they are cramped in small units.

thesamm

ScubaDoo, no offence but i must correct you...paddlefin and lunare wrasses CAN be reef safe, my lunare is, it all depends on the fish
most sites for these fish say "with caution" in the reef catigory, mainly because they CAN attack small fish and SOMETIMES eat inverts, and CAN nip corals
but notice the CAN's
it can be done

scubadoo

Yes...but we all have opinions...this opinion is from another site...please note the "not reef safe". In my opinion...best to play the odss unless you can affors to take the risk of loss or damage..
The Thalassoma lunare grows up to 10 inches. The Lunare Wrasse prefers a tank of at least 80 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim. The Thalassoma lunare is a carnivore and likes to eat meaty treats (like live feeder, fiddler crabs, small fish & grass shrimp). The Lunare Wrasse is a medium maintenance fish and may act aggressively toward other fish. Not reef-safe. Keep water quality high (SG 1.020 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F). The Lunare Wrasse is commonly collected from the Indian Ocean.

scubadoo

Same for the paddlefin...exception yes but some wrasses in a reef is a crapshoot...can it be done yes...question each and every aquarist must ask is do they wish to take the risk? No offesne as we all have our own experiances and opinions.
Paddlefin Wrasse, known as the Mexican Wrasse is a native of the Eastern Pacific Ocean. This carnivore adapts to aquarium life when fed a wide variety of meaty foods such as Brine Shrimp and zooplankton. It will grow up to 7 inches and is generally not recommended for a reef aquarium. A sand bed and Live Rock should be provided for all Wrasses. They will bury themselves in the sand to sleep or hide. Live Rock contains life forms that the Wrasses treat on. It also could be a hiding place where they can hide.

nickfish

If you want a wrasse that is not too fiesty and simalar to the lunare try the bluehead wrasse. My experiecne is that they love to jump(how i lost mine)so make sure you have a tightly sealed canopy to prevent escape. I would reccomend this wrasse if you want a reef safe one. Full of charactor and its easy to get attached to them. I was sad when I lost mine.

jditton

This tank contains no live rock, my worry is the crushed coral it is much coarser than sand and I am afraid or the wrasse being hurt trying to bury itself.
Thanks for all the input.

scubadoo

Jim...your concerns are correct. I have seen some in tanks with CC but they really prefer sand and will do better. Also, they enjoy planty live rock.
So you know the second store in Sierra Vista plans on getting some Saltwater fish once again. Might take then awhile to get things going but I will give you a holler as soon as they do.