Wrasse

shobby

I have a fish that I bought from LFS, I do not remember its name but said it was a juvenile wrasse. I have looked at several pics but have not seen him, he is brown and white striped but the stripes are thick and go up and down the body not from head to tail. Any one have any idea as to what he could be?
Shell

joe 09

the only fish i could find is a hardwick or sixbar wrasse(thalassoma hardwicke).do a search on the net and see if it your fish.

shobby

Okay, he is more brown and has five white stripes evenly spread down the body. I would take a pic but I do not know how to get it to post on the web site.
Shell

dogstar

Maybe a Razorfish. Xyrichthys pavo
or a Slingjaw. Epibulus insidiator
or Hemigymnus fasciatus

bears

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20011220163826/www.***********.com/images/products/large/pw75709formosa_wrasse.jpg
This is a Formosa Wrasse is this it?
(Coris formosa)
OR
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20020208195046/www.***********.com/images/products/large/pw76177redcoris_wrasse.jpg
this is a Red Coris Wrasse
(Coris gaimard)

shobby

It looks like the top one. Thanks. Do you know anything about this fish? Will he change in color?
Shell

bears

Minimum Tank Size: 100 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 2'
Color Form: Black, Orange, White
Temperament: Aggressive
Reef Compatible: No
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Africa
Family: Labridae
The Formosa Wrasse is also referred to as the Formosan Coris or Queen Coris. The juvenile and adult appearances vary greatly. As a juvenile, the body color is orange with white tiger stripes across the back. The stripes and fins are outlined in black. As an adult, the females have a dark blue-green body with black spots, accented by red on the fins, and a light-blue diagonal stripe across the orange face. The males have a light-blue body with vertical blue stripes and several green stripes on the face.
It requires a 100 gallon or larger aquarium with a 4-6 inch layer of sand in which to bury itself. It is an excellent hunter and will leave no rock unturned (literally) in search of food. The Formosa Wrasse will eat urchins, crabs, shrimp, and small invertebrates.
The diet should consist of seafoods, brine or mysid shrimp, live black worms, and flake foods.