Wrasses/CC substrate

emperor11

I'm looking for a nice looking wrasse. Lately I've been looking at the Radiant Wrasse, the Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, or an Australian Scotts Fairy Wrasse. I've read that wrasses need a sand substrate to bury themselves in, but I've read elsewhere that they'll just hide in the rocks, so they don't need sand. I have CC substrate (dont flame me, i actually prefer CC..I've tried LS, dont like it) and I want a wrasse, but I don't want the wrasse to hurt himself. Do you know of any wrasses (preferably of the three I've chosen, but if you have others, name them) that don't mind a CC substrate?
~Adam :happyfish

connor

i would think that almost all wrasses need sand exept for the 6 line. i have one and never burries in the sand

emperor11

Originally Posted by connor
i would think that almost all wrasses need sand exept for the 6 line. i have one and never burries in the sand

Darn...the ONE wrasse that I really can't stand.

emperor11

leaperd(sp lol) wrasses ALWAYS burry them selfs and im pretty sure fairys do to.
Alrighty...thanks for the info...
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone know if the Radiant Wrasse can handle CC?

emperor11

Well Connor..here's the list I want for my 55..what could I have instead of a wrasse...
2 percula clowns
1 lemonpeel angelfish
2 firefish
3 green chromis
1 diadema pseudochromis
1 (something else, any ideas)

emperor11

I don't like live sand, because personally, I don't care for the look. You HAVE to put the rocks on the glass (which can damage the bottom) so that fish don't burrow under the rocks and squish themselves, and if you even slightly disturb the sand, you get a huge nitrate jump, and you have to have a ton of nassarius snails or something that sand sifts that won't damage the sand bed, to keep if from getting anaroebic (sp?). I'd rather once a week gravel vac some CC. Plus, I like how CC looks better than sand. Its really just a matter of opinion. Some like LS better, some like CC better. For some reason, everyone on here seems to hate CC..well, except me. Connor, here's that pseudo... (FYI, this isn't my exact specimen, I had to quick google search, and find a pic...I don't have a digital camera)

connor

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Well Connor..here's the list I want for my 55..what could I have instead of a wrasse...
2 percula clowns
1 lemonpeel angelfish
2 firefish
3 green chromis
1 diadema pseudochromis
1 (something else, any ideas)
ok you need a blue fish to help balence your red yellow,orange and green fish how about a neon goby. or a 4 line wrasse there blue too.

emperor11

ok you need a blue fish to help balence your red yellow,orange and green fish how about a neon goby. or a 4 line wrasse there blue too.
If I did neon gobies, should I just do one, or a pair? Also, I want to get a carpet anemone eventually, once I get MH's..would it be a HUGE worry to have such small fish near one? I made a thread about it in the anemones forum, but only a couple people have replied. The people who have replied have said it CAN happen, but its no more likely to get fish than a BTA..is this true, to your knowledge? You're a trusted reefer, at least by my standards, so I trust what you say. I also want those firefish, which those people said would be fine..what do you think? What does a 4 line wrasse look like? Would those be okay with a CC substrate?

connor

personally i wouldntkeep any anemone in a tank less than a 180 beacouse of lack of space for the other fish to swim in. like the carpet will get a good foot around and thats a 1/4 of the tank. if you really want one get it VERY small and put it away from the others favorite spots. peoples fish have gotten eaten before its not a risk i would take. you could get a pair of firefish im goin to get a pair to as soon as i get back from vacation. but the 4 lines are blueish with green. they will do fine with out sand. you could get a pair of neons if you have great filtration and a good skimmer otherwise you would be pushing your boi load choose either 2 neons otr the 1 4 line. i gotta go to the mall now talk to you later!

emperor11

personally i wouldntkeep any anemone in a tank less than a 180 beacouse of lack of space for the other fish to swim in. like the carpet will get a good foot around and thats a 1/4 of the tank. if you really want one get it VERY small and put it away from the others favorite spots. peoples fish have gotten eaten before its not a risk i would take. you could get a pair of firefish im goin to get a pair to as soon as i get back from vacation. but the 4 lines are blueish with green. they will do fine with out sand. you could get a pair of neons if you have great filtration and a good skimmer otherwise you would be pushing your boi load choose either 2 neons otr the 1 4 line. i gotta go to the mall now talk to you later!

Alright, thanks..guess I'll just do something like a frogspawn, those will host clowns sometimes too. I've got pretty good filtration, so I think I'll do the pair of neon gobies. Thanks for all your help!

dogstar

IMO, the Radiant and Leopard Wrasse need fine sand to bury. They would have to struggle too hard to bury in coarse CC. Could end up being stressfull or injured because they bury to feel safe.
That species of Pseudo will most likely kill Firefish. A 4Line could be risky with Flashers and Gobies too but it and the Flasher does not bury at night.. Just some thoughts......

emperor11

Originally Posted by Dogstar
IMO, the Radiant and Leopard Wrasse need fine sand to bury. They would have to struggle too hard to bury in coarse CC. Could end up being stressfull or injured because they bury to feel safe.
That species of Pseudo will most likely kill Firefish. A 4Line could be risky with Flashers and Gobies too but it and the Flasher does not bury at night.. Just some thoughts......
Really? You think he'd be too aggressive for firefish? What would go well in the firefish's place? Or do you think it would be a better idea to trade in the diadema pseudo? I'm willing to do either.

dogstar

IMO, from your list, just trade the Pseudo for the Flasher and your set. Add the angle last and good luck with that one. They are not very hardy but some do have sucsess with them.

connor

i never would have thought that the 4 line would be to aggresive for firefish, i guess ya learn somethin new everyday with this hobby. a flasher wrasse is a flasher and a fairy wrasee is a fairy.

emperor11

i never would have thought that the 4 line would be to aggresive for firefish, i guess ya learn somethin new everyday with this hobby. a flasher wrasse is a flasher and a fairy wrasee is a fairy.
MAN! I just did a ton of searching, and all of the reef-safe wrasses I've seen that I like are fairies! I don't care for any of the flashers. Guess I need more ideas as to what to replace the diadema pseudochromis with....