WTB Chiller ASAP

saraja87

Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for a chiller capable of bringing a 110 gal from 89 deg down to somewhere around 78 at least. I'm in Los Angeles where temperatures are skyrocketing and the tank has gotten so hot that I'm beginning to lose fish. I've tried ice cubes in bags, cold packs, central air and multiple fans but I just can't bring the temperature down more than 0.1 deg. I don't have very much cash left to spend, maybe 200 if I start looking under the couch cushions. If you're getting out of the hobby/have an extra one/ just don't need yours anymore I would be really happy to take it off your hands! I'd prefer local pick up and am willing to drive a bit to get to you!
Thank you!!!!
EDIT: Since I'm in Los Angeles, my poor fish are experiencing rolling blackouts. We have whats called a half phase power outage where half the house has power and the other half doesn't! Unfortunately, the half that doesn't includes all the ceiling fans and the air conditioner has shorted out from all the use! DWP and the air conditioner repairmen are so busy that they won't get to my house for a while
If anyone has a chiller they can get rid of, please contact me! My poor guys are roasting

devil dog

Originally Posted by Saraja87
Hello Everyone!
I'm looking for a chiller capable of bringing a 110 gal from 89 deg down to somewhere around 78 at least. I'm in Los Angeles where temperatures are skyrocketing and the tank has gotten so hot that I'm beginning to lose fish. I've tried ice cubes in bags, cold packs, central air and multiple fans but I just can't bring the temperature down more than 0.1 deg. I don't have very much cash left to spend, maybe 200 if I start looking under the couch cushions. If you're getting out of the hobby/have an extra one/ just don't need yours anymore I would be really happy to take it off your hands! I'd prefer local pick up and am willing to drive a bit to get to you!
Thank you!!!!
You should not be that hot...
What are you running for lights? if you have your A/C on and fans running it should be around room temp. do you have a heater in if so take it out! it could be bad...

saraja87

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
You should not be that hot...
What are you running for lights? if you have your A/C on and fans running it should be around room temp. do you have a heater in if so take it out! it could be bad...
I am only running power compacts 4x 65 watt and the heater hasn't been on in about a month. The AC and ceiling fans just went out last night with all the power outages in LA so now I'm Really in trouble ><

devil dog

Originally Posted by Saraja87
I am only running power compacts 4x 65 watt and the heater hasn't been on in about a month. The AC and ceiling fans just went out last night with all the power outages in LA so now I'm Really in trouble ><
do you have glass tops? if so take them off... thats crazy I'm sorry for you and your fish...

myse7en

Hi Sarah. I live in the Los Angeles area as well. By this time, I hope you found the chiller you were looking for. If not, I saw a used chiller for sale at a local fish store in the Long Beach/Cerritos area. It's called Carson Tropical Fish. Their number is (562) 924-7685. Location: 12119 Carson St, Hawaiian Gardens, CA. The young guy that works there is very helpful and knowledgeable. The store does FREE water testing and has the cheapest price for quality water. The chiller (if I remember correctly) is 1/5 or 1/4 hp and going between $250 -$300. You can bargain since it is used. good luck in your search!

saraja87

Managed to score a 1/3 hp chiller, digital controller, and eheim 1250 pump for $250.00 locally. Thanks everyone for your help!

saraja87

I found it on the Los Angeles Recycler and got it from another hobbyist. It looks like I really scored too, this model new is $1599 as its a more industrial brand (Universal Marine Industries). They make chillers for public aquariums like aquarium of the pacific, and a lot of seafood restaurants and research labs. One of the first brands of chillers and supposedly really dependable :)