WTB fish from a LFS 2 Hours away.

xtyx

Will I need to do anyting special to transport fish/corals to and from a LFS 2 hours away?

1journeyman

Nope. Just don't let water temp fluctuate too much. Remember these fish travel for hours on planes to get to the wholesalers.

sepulatian

I picked up my last fish from a store that was 3 hrs away. I did not have a heater or a powerhead. I just had a bucket. He was perfectly fine. If you can get a portable PH I would strongly recommend it just to be safe. As long as the temp in the car is neither hot nor cold on the ride home then the fish should be fine. Even if you have the AC on, make sure it is not pointed toward the floor of your vehicle (toward the bucket).

sepulatian

Originally Posted by xtyx
Thanks I'm headed that way this weekend.
Let us know how it goes. You have a week. I sure hope you have a quarantine tank set up for these fish. If not, now would be plenty of time to set one up and buy a sponge filter to place in the DT(in a high flow area) to gather bacteria for a week. If you are reading this and giggling at me, well..........you will see. If you have a qt set up already, then you are set to go.

ophiura

If they are a quality LFS, they will pack the fish with oxygen...so you do not need an airstone. This is preferable. Give them a call and see.
Tell them you have a decent trip. They should put it in a larger bag with oxygen and this will be sufficient for many many many many hours.
Then get a cooler to keep the temperature constant, and also keep the bag dark. Again, a good store probably has a styro shipping box to give you.
2 hours is really not much, and IMO does not require particularly intensive preparation.

michaeltx

absolutely on a cooler it will help keep the temp stable a 2 hour drive at 80 degrees is a bit harsh to say the least the cooler will allow you to be comfortable aswell.
mike

xtyx

The Aquarium in Sandy. I like the Thermos Idea. I will check out the local Wal Mart to see if they have one.

reef noob

cool
its a great store.
one of the best in the valley
p.s. check out the new aquatic dreams for the best corals