X-mas rock

meg&ran

My x-mas rock lost two worms, the coral it self is doing great, even grew onto other rocks. but in the place of one of the worms, apeared a creature with long tenacules that collect paritacules in the water. He never leaves the hole and he kind of looks like a very small shrimp with with white dots on its claws. He behaves just the same as the trees do, going back in his hole when spooked and coming out when safe. could this be the worm and he lost the feathers/tree.. ??

meg&ran

No one has any knowledge of x-mas rocks? I been every where to research them. I bought the tank already establish with everything in it about 5months ago. The tank is about 3 years old. I will take any knowledge anyone can offer.

meg&ran

Any Info about the X-mas rock can help! I am tring to learn everything I can about them! Even if you may not know what the creature might be.
A pic from when i got the tank, Dont have a current one but will get one soon!

-Can they breed?
-Can they dispose their feathers and grow them back?

meg&ran

I am trying to learn all that I can about the X-mas rock. Any general knowledge may help.
Or past experience.
-can they breed?
-can they shed the feathers and grow them back?
-if they do breed can you get more trees on the corral?

meg&ran

Almost every where I read, It is said the worms don't care for the light, but the coral itself need strong light to survive. I have strong lights in my tank and the coral is at the top of the rock work. Is this why I lost a couple of my worms and my coral is doing great, should I move my x-mas to the bottom of the tank?

alyssia

Originally Posted by meg&ran
Almost every where I read, It is said the worms don't care for the light, but the coral itself need strong light to survive. I have strong lights in my tank and the coral is at the top of the rock work. Is this why I lost a couple of my worms and my coral is doing great, should I move my x-mas to the bottom of the tank?

I have a xmas tree rock. You're right, it is hard to get info on them. I have heard the same as you as far as the porites needing strong lighting and the worms not caring for it. I have had mine for about 6 months. It is at the bottom of my tank under only 260 watts of PC lighting. (It's a 75 gallon). So far the porites seems to be okay but it hasn't spread. About two months ago I thought most of the worms had died, their holes looked empty for a long time. I guess they just threw their crowns because they have now got their feathers back and look better than ever. I do have some little brittle stars that stick their arms out of the holes in the rock sometimes, IDK if that's what you are seeing or not. What color feathers do you have? Mine is pretty plain, I was hoping for some of those pretty blue feathers.

meg&ran

I have a big yellow one and a small pink one. I did have a few blue and orange but they seem to die on me. I would post a pic but cannot figure how to. I have a bunch of hole with these creatures but they are so small that all you see are two tenicules sticking out of it. I only have one large creature and he is very interesting the tenicules are always moving around and they are fan shaped.
thanks.. that gives me alittle hope that they will come back, maybe i should try moving it to the bottom of my tank. I have I-cap lights and a 75g tank.

piscian

I had mine near the bottom of my tank, but my coral started to fade. I've had mine for about 7 months. It has some nice blues on it.
Here's a pic, although not a good one.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Piscian
I had mine near the bottom of my tank, but my coral started to fade. I've had mine for about 7 months. It has some nice blues on it.
Here's a pic, although not a good one.

Nice!

meg&ran

Originally Posted by Piscian
The worms are filter feeders. Use DT's and they both will be happy.
what are DT's?

emperor11

Originally Posted by meg&ran
what are DT's?
Its a brand of phytoplankton. Its actually LIVE, instead of concentrated like most of the others. Its only like 7-8 bucks for the big bottle.