Xena coral problem

partyarty25

Greetings all! I’m having a little bit of trouble with my nano reef tank (14 gal). I’ve had it up and going for almost 2 yrs now. Everything *knock on wood* has been going great. However, after about a year, my xena coral slowly “disappeared.” I asked my local pet store and they said that nothing was wrong with my water and these things can just happen over time. I decided two weeks ago, to try again because I know they can grow and grow and even take over your tank and seemed at first the easiest coral to take care of...well again...i’m having problems with them. All my other corals are doing wonderful. I know here's where I should tell you my water readings, but I have none to give :( I will get that information tuesday when I have the time to return to my pet store. I just was wondering if anyone, from the look of the pictures below....could tell me why I seem to have a problem with them. Their little "hands" don't even pulse in and out....is there something I'm doing wrong?
sincerely,
arty
PHOTOS:

dstyling

i have bout a basket ball size in my tank...mine love alot of flow from my ph's..other then that i have read that either your tank can have them and some cant...its not you necessarily

snakeblitz33

xenia do best in new tanks. If you have an old tank, they aren't going to like it. Xenia also like a little extra iodide and strontium in the water. Also, using a little extra flow is a great idea.

bang guy

I have a couple of comments.
I'm going to correct the spelling, not because I care how you spell Xenia, but you might want to research the animal.
Xenia do best in a chaotic flow, and nutrient rich water. The temp preference depends on the species, but most prefer warm water.
Pulsing is not an indication of health. We don't know with certaintly why they pulse.
They are very very sensitive to low Alkalinity. It's worth restesting ALK when Xenia start to curl up.

partyarty25

thanks so much for everyones replies. And yes the spelling would probably be helpful. lol
It makes alot of sense what you guys all said. My tank is getting older, like i said a little over 2 yrs. and when i first had the tank set up, they were the first corals i had and they just wouldn't stop growing.
also, they are out of the way of the powerhead (most of the water movement is towards the front of the tank, not back).
And I will retest my water tuesday and ask that they let me know about the level readings for those that were mentioned.
thanks again for your help!
arty

partyarty25

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2823301
I have a couple of comments.
They are very very sensitive to low Alkalinity. It's worth restesting ALK when Xenia start to curl up.

What is a good reading on Alkalinity in regards to xenias?

bang guy

Originally Posted by partyarty25
http:///forum/post/2823412
What is a good reading on Alkalinity in regards to xenias?
2.5 - 3.5 Meq/L. They react to the change
in ALK so if it goes from 3.5 Meq/L down to 3.0 you may see them react negatively even though it's still an acceptable ALK reading.

calaxa

How often are you making water changes? It sounds like there's a defiency of some trace element (iodine or strontium as snake suggested). I'm not in agreement with the new tank statement. Probably a good correlation between these trace elements and newer tanks but if you keep up with water changes, you should be replenishing these elements. Mine also don't like high flow. I agree with Bang that they want chaotic flow and "dirty" water. Maybe there's not enough phyto or other nutrients in your water. I believe the pulsing has to do with them feeding on these nutrients.

partyarty25

Originally Posted by calaxa
http:///forum/post/2823730
How often are you making water changes? It sounds like there's a defiency of some trace element (iodine or strontium as snake suggested). I'm not in agreement with the new tank statement. Probably a good correlation between these trace elements and newer tanks but if you keep up with water changes, you should be replenishing these elements. Mine also don't like high flow. I agree with Bang that they want chaotic flow and "dirty" water. Maybe there's not enough phyto or other nutrients in your water. I believe the pulsing has to do with them feeding on these nutrients.
In regards to the water changes...i do have to be honest and say I don't do them as frequently as I did when I first set my tank up. I went through a complete water change back in Aug. when I entered my tank into the Kentucky State Fair (but I lost my xenias before then). After that I've only done 3 changes of no more than 3 or 4 gallons (i know that's really not recommended and I should be changing more often). The tank is a 14 gal bio cube.
It's probably a lack of work on my part with the water changes...so i'll start there!
thanks again,
arty

dav9175

first off you have aptasia right next to your xenia the could be stinging them and the pulsing is when they are feeding water changes really wouldnt hurt either get a couple of peppermint shrimp or berghia