Xenia and Clavularia

notsonoob

One day I woke up and my Xenia disappeared and about a week later my Clavularia started not to come out.
Everything else in the tank is doing well. Everything has tested out ok.
I have a co-worker that has the same problem and we are running through the list of ideas from salt brand to city water issues. I run RO and he runs RODI.
So far both of our tanks have tested ok.
Also, the algea content on the glass has increased for him notably.
I am just wondering if anybody else has the same issue.
Salt -- Instant Ocean
Additives -- Reef Plus with Reef Trace and Kalkwasser drip.

nycbob

what kind of light do u hv? xenia is a weird coral, even if ur water is perfect. cloves, on the hand, shouldnt be difficult. why use io? why not reef crystal if u r keeping corals?

notsonoob

I am investigating other brands. Actually I have been using IO since the start when I was a full fledged NOOB
I am looking at the alternatives out there.
We have two seperate tanks with the same issue. The only thing similar is that we traded some corals. I got one of his kenya trees. We have even been considering chemical warfare between the corals.
Both of us use Reef Plus, Instant Ocean (actually been using the same bucket for about 9 months and only a problem now). And we both have Kenya trees from the same source.
Other than that, the only thing we can consider is that we use the same municiple source of water in Florida. He told me earlier that he had the Xenia for years with no problem, but moving to PSL, Florida he noticed a difference.

steelytom

I lived in a townhouse complex and one of my neighbors also had a reef tank. Neither one of us could grow coralline algae or xenia. I actually even had a daisy poly (similar to clove) that shrunk up slowly and disappeared. Both of us using RO/DI, I know something was in that water. It had an odd smell out of tap. Not just chlorine, it smelled like an odd chemical at times. I moved 4 months ago and my rock is now covered in coralline and all my corals look much better. I now have mostly sps so I will not try xenia, but I bet I could with the new water.

notsonoob

Could be.
I know that WPB, Florida, will switch from lake to wells without notifying the public, but will to some water dependant industries. Maybe other cities are doing the same. Plus in Florida we also had T.S. Faye go through and cause massive flooding in areas. Maybe the sludge is making it's way through.
I tested my water and noticed a slight bump in phosphates, not very high, but maybe high enough.
There was one symptom that I forgot to include as well. Snails are hard to keep alive in the tanks.
One other note. Cities do put certian additional chemicals in. I wonder how Floride and such affects reef tanks.
I've since ordered new filters for my RO system, just in case. I also found an inline TDS meter that I ordered and will incorporate. Just push a button and you can see the TDS level of you RO.

jeanheckle

My brown xenia totally disappeared as well, I have Red Sea Xenia that is growing at an alarming rate. I also have sps, lps, zoas, duncans, acans and lots of other corals that are doing great. I use reef crystals. I have no explanation at all as to what happened. I have excellent coraline algae growth. I know this in no way helped you other than to say, you know what happens sometimes.