Xenia Coral

fish

Just purchased some Xenia coral. When researching I found that my pulsing coral did not look exactly like it was pictured. My is pink with white stalk. Does anyone have info for this type of coral?
Thanks,
Fish :eek: Xenia

kimmisue

Is it pulsing? There are several types of the xenia. I had one about 2 months ago it didn't survive my light conditions at the time but it was long stems with the heads on top..they didn't pulse ..They were sold as pulsing xenia....
I now have the real thing And love it..
It sounds like you have the same thing that I had.
I will do some research and see if I can find it for you.
Kim

burnnspy

Not specifically, but Xenias are all pretty much the same. Good water quality, reef lighting, food and current is all they need, very hardy stuff.
BurnNSpy

fish

Thanks for the reply. It has pink pedal hands and it pulses. Let me know what you find out.
Thanks,
Fish
Originally posted by Kimmisue:
<STRONG>Is it pulsing? There are several types of the xenia. I had one about 2 months ago it didn't survive my light conditions at the time but it was long stems with the heads on top..they didn't pulse ..They were sold as pulsing xenia....
I now have the real thing And love it..
It sounds like you have the same thing that I had.
I will do some research and see if I can find it for you.
Kim</STRONG>
:p :p :p

kimmisue

You know my pulsing xenia has pink heads and what I would call very light pink stalks...could yours be very light pink not white?
The similar corals are heteroxenia and Anthelia. They grow from a mat or colonies..
When doing alittle reading the color of xenia varies dependent on environmental conditions.
I bet yours just has different coloring.
My reference was "Corals quick reference guide"
by Julian Sprung
Page184 and 185 tells about the differences.
Kim :D

fish

Mine is the same color as described.
Thanks! Fish
<STRONG>You know my pulsing xenia has pink heads and what I would call very light pink stalks...could yours be very light pink not white?
The similar corals are heteroxenia and Anthelia. They grow from a mat or colonies..
When doing alittle reading the color of xenia varies dependent on environmental conditions.
I bet yours just has different coloring.
My reference was "Corals quick reference guide"
by Julian Sprung
Page184 and 185 tells about the differences.
Kim :D</STRONG>
:D

fish

Thanks Kim have a good one!
Fish
<STRONG>So they are pink as I discribed?
if so great ...glad to help.
Kim ;)</STRONG>

total

I got one about 3 weeks ago. Best looking coral I own. Mine has brown heads on it. It's twice as big now then when it was in the LFS. It's also attaching itself to my LR.
If my tank can support the Xenia is it ready to support an anemone for my Perc's. thanks
TTFN

bt199966

<STRONG>Is it pulsing? There are several types of the xenia.
Kim</STRONG>
It was my understanding that RARELY pulzing xenias keeped pulsing, shortly after taken out of their natural environment.... Is this correct??? :D

fish

The LFS indicated that Xenia take alot of Iodine treatment. If the water conditions are low on Iodine the pulsing slows down. Kent has a slow release treatment for treating reef corals.
Fish
Originally posted by bt199966:
<STRONG>It was my understanding that RARELY pulzing xenias keeped pulsing, shortly after taken out of their natural environment.... Is this correct??? :D</STRONG>

kimmisue

I have been treating my tank with lugol's iodine..I just started using reef complete and reef plus. These things have made a dramatic difference in my tank ..
PS my xenia has been pulsing for a two months now. It is spreading to new locations throughout the tank...leaning over and rooting to the new rock.
Kim :eek:

jill

I just recently bought a xenia as well, which has stopped pulsing. It is, thought, trying to spread by attaching to another rock. How often do you put in the iodine, and how much? One LFS said one drop per 20 gal every week and another said once a month.

fish

Can you decribe how it spreads to other places in your tank. I will begin to look for that. How long did it take to do this. From what I have read you must have the right conditions.
Thanks,
Fish
<STRONG>I have been treating my tank with lugol's iodine..I just started using reef complete and reef plus. These things have made a dramatic difference in my tank ..
PS my xenia has been pulsing for a two months now. It is spreading to new locations throughout the tank...leaning over and rooting to the new rock.
Kim :eek:</STRONG>

kimmisue

Guys,
I have been dosing with Loguls Iodine 1drop per 25 gallons twice a week.
This will now change because the reef complete I'm using adds iodine also.
I will dose now with one drop twice a week.
I recommend Lugols iodine I have tried others (kent) and have been amazed at the growth since changing.
Hope this helps
Kim

burnnspy

I dont add anything to my reef except buffer and calcium and my Xenias are spreading and growing well. I've read articles that state that Iodine can become toxic if done wrong, so I chose not to chance it becaus it isnt need in my reef as far as my Xenia goes.
KISS
BurnNSpy

kappadoku

What salt do you use BurnNSpy? I use kents, and have never had to add iodine, and My xenias are ALWAYS pulsing, night and day, since day one. Another example of "you get what you pay for" in this hobby folks. Cheaper salts are just that, cheap.

bt199966

Since I Setup my reef tank 11 Months Ago, I've added Iodine 8-12 Drops every other Day, (kent Marine)and I bought a colt coral attached to a piece of lr. This rock had 2 polyps of xenia.... in 7 months it has grown to approx. 50 polyps.... Would this be doing the trick...? :D

tonka

Use the iodine wisely,it can cause algae breakouts. I've noticed that if I add Marc Weiss products the xenia seems to shrink for about 2 hours.I only add Kalk and w/c. I agree with Burn,keep it simple.

total

Like BT199966 I use Kent's , I dose one cap full a week. My Xenia is in the process of moving form the rock it came on to my LR. And has almost trippled in size in the one month I've had it.
TTFN