xenia dieing???

atf88

ive had these 2 stalks of xenia for 6+ months and they have always been doing great. but i re-arranged my rocks one day and couldnt find a good place to put the small rock that their on, so i just put them in the sand in the front corner of my tank.
they were their for a couple weeks and were doing fine, and then i moved things around again and found a real good place to put it where it looked really nice, but it wasnt doing very good there, so i moved it back to the corner on the sand and for about a week now its still really small and its not pulsing.
all of my other corals and fish and everything are doing great, just the xenia.
will they be ok? is there anything im supposed to add to the water that it need?

F

fishlovr

How much light do you have? I have zenia too but it is up at the top of my 75 gallon tank under 260 watts of PC. My zenia likes flow and is only happy when in higher light. 6 months is a long time to only have just 2 stalks of zenia. Mine reproduces a couple of new stalks about every month. Not sure from the pic but the stalks look somewhat elongated compared to mine.....maybe it's reaching and needs more light? I don't dose anything special for mine......maybe you could find a spot for yours under more flow and lighting? HTH
fishlovr

atf88

Originally posted by fishlovr
6 months is a long time to only have just 2 stalks

it split once so i had 3, but i gave the new stalk to a friend and right now one of the stalks is kind of splitting so i guess you could say i have 3 right now, but yea they havnt been splitting too much for me.
i have 260w coralife compact lights, and i always thought it was better with low current just because a high current on them made their hand fly around a lot. maybe its just because its on the bottom of the tank?

spline9

I think I agree with the light theory. Have they always looked that stretched out? Light definately loses portions of its spectrum after passing through so much water. But since its been moved around so much, I would leave it alone for a bit. Not only will it be less stressful, but if the light theory is incorrect, you may see it get better.

*bta*

i have Xenia under 220watts of light, on the bottom of my 55gal and they are perfectly fine and reproducing

flatzboy

It looks like its about to die to me. I would take it out know because when xenia dies it releases a bad toxin that can hurt other corals pretty bad do a search for xenia meltdown and you will see.

atf88

their not really streched out at all, its just that the stalk is normal size but the hands are shrunk down., they look a little better today.

atf88

my tank is a normal 55gal, 260watt compact lights and there is low-medium flow on them, probably closer to the low end.

F

fishlovr

My tank is a sumpless 75 gallon with a deep sandbed. I have 260 watts of PC lighting. Params are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates <10. DKH is 10.9 Calcium is 400, PH is 8.0-8.2........flow there in is medium and they are placed at the top. HTH
fishlovr

F

fishlovr

I don't add iodine and my zenia is the Red Sea variety.......my bioload is fairly heavy......
fishlovr