xenia question

nativemic

i recently purcheased a stock of xenia and it has been doing fine for 2 weeks. all of a sudden the base has turned white and appeaers to have shrunk. should i be worried or is it trying to move to a new rock? the rest of it still looks good --not as good as it has but still ok.any advice would be appreciated
thanks in advance:)

bigarn

Look at the stem...if it has an out crop heading towards the rock, it's getting ready to attach itself. :D

dragonboy

If your xenia stalk is bending down toward to another rock it is expanding. But if the complete stalk and polyp are white it could be bleaching.

debbie

Hey, my xenia is doing the same thing. It was suggested to me that I move it higher to the light. Three days ago I did this and it sure looks alot better.
If it wants to move now it can as it is on some rock now. I had it on the bottom of my crushed coral bed near some rock. It is on a piece of rock itself but I sure hope it does better there and moves and multiplies for me :joy:
good luck....:happyfish

nativemic

it is already pretty close to the light so i dont think thats it. and the base is turning white with a small part of brown but the rest is still the same color and pulsing----o wait i just saw one of the hands float by is that a bad sign is it dieing:confused:

caillou

I'm gonna bump and partially hijack because I think we've got the same or similiar problem. I started out with some really healthy xenia and have since gone through a major splitting over the last month. Started with 2 and now have about 12. I have noticed on 1 or 2 of them the same white chalky looking symptom with some closed and browning fingers. It is not the same thing they do when getting ready to make a move. Water params are normal and I have not added anything to the tank in the last few months. Any ideas?

dragonboy

Also if it is sagging its a sign of dieing but then if it comes back then it will recover. If it stays sagging close for a few days then it could be dieing.