Xenia Question

chadman

agreed that nothing else throws up a red flag other than nitrates...i juss feel as though in this case saying that it is nitrates may just be the path of least resistance...i have been wrong before though!

let me ask you this....if your nitrates go up, does your xenia die within a week of when the levels started rising?

farslayer

Originally Posted by chadman
agreed that nothing else throws up a red flag other than nitrates...i juss feel as though in this case saying that it is nitrates may just be the path of least resistance...i have been wrong before though!

let me ask you this....if your nitrates go up, does your xenia die within a week of when the levels started rising?
I got a

[hr]
stranglehold on my nitrates about two years ago; haven't had detectable levels since then. But what happened is that if my nitrates started to rise, the xenia stopped pulsing and would retract quite a bit. I would do water changes to bring them back down closer to 20ppm, which helped a lot. I finally just added a bunch of LR and my nitrates literally disappeared in about a week.

chadman

i have what many would consider an accident waiting to happen...i went to my lfs the 2 years ago to buy my first swf tank...i bought the tank and before i even had water in the tank...that same day...they sold me five fish...i have gotten rid of some and added some soon after before i new about this site...but i have a 29g with seven fish i believe and a large cleaner shrimp and a nice clean up crew...i have always had very slight nitrates...but but xenia growns like crazy...

farslayer

Originally Posted by chadman
i have what many would consider an accident waiting to happen...i went to my lfs the 2 years ago to buy my first swf tank...i bought the tank and before i even had water in the tank...that same day...they sold me five fish...i have gotten rid of some and added some soon after before i new about this site...but i have a 29g with seven fish i believe and a large cleaner shrimp and a nice clean up crew...i have always had very slight nitrates...but but xenia growns like crazy...
It's possibly a disaster waiting to happen, but if the fish are not very large then you may be just fine.

farslayer

Hmm, possibly coral warfare? I'd definitely scrape the dead stuff off asap and monitor the surviving coral.

ltvidal

ok, I just cleaned up the DEAD stuff and I will do another waterchange tmrw
What do you think 10 Gal?