Xenia ?'s

canareef

I have 3 stalks of xenia and 2 of them shunk up and look like they are melting. The 3rd one looks great nice colour good extension. I do have some aggresive coral but the Xenia is 8 inches away and the 3rd good stalk is the closest piece. Now is this maybe some sort of a cycle? I've never seen anything picking at them. I do weekly water changes and haven't added or done anything different in over a month. Any ideas would be greatly apperciated.

howardj

Alix is right, Xenia is the strangest coral out there.
My xenia would do this sometimes, and come back to life in the next few days..
very weird coral..

cydab

I'm new at this but one thing i did found out is that if xenia's have a lot of light it will spread fast

natclanwy

Agreed xenia can just up and die for no apparent reason. I had a large colony 50+ stalks disintegrate back to 3 stalks and now is back up to about 25 in three different colonies.

tdog7879

let them die or just get rid of them they will take over your tank. before
after
this also selling about 10 frags also got some growing on the back of the walls and i even got some in my sump. Xenia grow like weeds in my tank and kinda wish i never got them. The only thing good about them is store credit!!!!! 8 -12 dollars a frag from LFS.

cydab

I wish I thought about it before and I'll add clover and green star polyps to the pile good idea with the LFS

pulsating xenia..I have that as well and let me tell you it spreads like a california wildfire!! I have silver tip xenia,pulsating xenia and colony xenia.. i cut it back and it grows and grows...lol