Xenia shriveld everyone else fine

nacl-h2o

Problem, 5 of my xenias are shriveld up while the other 6 are fine? 72g; plenium & refugium; 4x55w PC, 1 40w 03 NO; SG .024, NH4 0, NO2 0, NO3 0, PO4 <.5, PH 8.4 Ca 450; added iodine and trace three days ago when two were affected no change well now 5 affected; nothing has been changed or added in over a year. It started with the left most and has moved to the right. No problems with any other corals. Inhabitants colt, green strp shrooms, yellow polyps ,button polyps, curlique, purple manipora digitata, grn star polyps, bastmossa, spotted shrooms, green hydno(not close), fire coral(not close), devils hand, sea mat, anthia, ricordia shrooms and a yellow leather. And yllw tang, clner wrasse, royal gramma, clner shrimp and a clean up crew.

fish

I had mine dye back when I first got them from the LFS. I would place them high in your tank where they can get the best lighting. I only had a very small patch when the die off stopped and they finally took off. Water quality must be good as well.
Hope this helps,
Fish :D

concon

Hey, how much Iodine do you add? How do you add your trace elements? Directly into the tank? I had the same problem with my Xenia before. Several advices from this post indicating it is due to Iodine overdose. I also confirmed this information from the TFH literature. Leather and mushroom love a lot of Iodine. But Xenia does not like too much Iodine. Too much Iodine will kill Xenia if the situation is not corrected. The test kit for Iodine is very rare and expensive. I did four 25% water change in four days and let the Iodine burn out by itself. My Xenia came back again after several water change. I have not add any Iodine for about a month now. My Xenia is multiplying once again, they look great. Don't add Iodine directly into your tank because you will cause Xenia to shrive. If you want to know more about Iodine, I can post them here again tomorrow night. I have to get the literature again. Remember to do several water change, wait for while before adding Iodine and you will be fine. Use only half dose of the recommended amount from the vendor. One drop per day for 50 gallons, I would use only half of it. Hope this will help. Good luck ;)

nacl-h2o

Two teaspoons, as the instructions indicate, and it was added to the refugium. I only add iodine about once a month, the last time any was added was 6 weeks before. And there is still no change to this day but it hasn't spread further.

broomer5

Pretty sure if you add iodine supplements, it's better to add small doses more often than one large dose once a month.
Iodine is potentially poison if dosed to high at one time.
Good advise from concon !
Good luck Dan

concon

Subject:Iodine
Written by:Bob Goemans, ph.D.
Publisher:T.F.H (Tropical Fish Hobbyist)
Issue:November 2000
Summarized by:concon
Iodine (total iodine = iodide + iodate) is an essential trace element and a powerful oxidant in Natural Sea Water (NSW). NSW contains approximately 0.06 ppm of Iodine, mostly in the form of Iodide and Iodate (IO3). In seawater, Iodine itself is not stable and is being converted to a more stable form of Iodide and Iodate ions. When it is introduced in the seawater, Iodine reacts with alkaline portion of seawater (OH-) to form the Iodide ion and Hypoiodous acid (OHI). Hypoiodous acid undergoes further oxidation-reduction to form more Iodide and Iodate.
Iodine is known to increase enzyme activity promoting growth. The positive side effects of Iodide/Iodine usage is the favorably growth of soft corals (e.g., leather corals, and mushrooms). Too little Iodide may reduce cell enzyme activity, thereby limiting growth. In contrast, overdosing Iodide/Iodine products can cause a wide variety of problems. For instance, small polyp corals may lose tip coloration, coraline algae may stop growing or bleach, anemones may wander, large polyp corals may contract, sponges may waste away, and denitrification process can become slowed. In theory, overdosing Iodide/Iodine can cause organism enzymes to quickly oxidize them, thereby possibly killing both good and bad bacteria and /or damaging cell wall material at the surface of an organism. It is the oxidation process that can be dangerous to the organism when it is accelerated or out of control.
To promote growth and good health, the level of Iodine in an aquarium setting should be monitored closely since protein skimmer and activated carbon constantly remove Iodine. An additive of Iodine may be required to make up for the lost.
Testing:
&#8220;When testing for Iodine, it is important to know whether the test result is total Iodine (Iodide + Iodate) or that of only Iodide. Dr. Atkinson has suggested that when the level of Iodide reaches 0.04 ppm, no further Iodide should be added until the level falls below. If the test kit being used read total Iodine, do not add further iodide treatments until the level falls below 0.5 ppm.&#8221;
Other Thoughts:
&#61607; Iodine/Iodide is known to increase brown diatom algae in an aquarium setting.
&#61607; Vitamin C (ascorbic acid or ascorbate) promotes growth and beneficial health to corals because Vitamin C is converting Iodate back to Iodide and not that vitamin C itself had a direct benefit to organism health.
&#61607; Xenia did not respond well at higher dosages of Iodide/Iodine.