Xenia trouble

energizer28

I bought 2 heads of pink Xenia (although now it looks blue) from the LFS about 3-4 weeks ago. It appeared to be doing ok until about a week ago. Usually, Xenia love my tank and grow out of control. This guy is closing up and barely pumping. There is a nice indirect flow from a powerhead nearby but I wouldn't think it would mind. I'm clueless as to what is going on with it. All other coral are doing fine. What could be wrong? How can I save him?

btldreef

I wish I could offer more help. I can't keep the light pink variety alive. I've been told by people who have really beautiful colonies of it that they prefer slightly higher salinity, but I don't know if there is any scientific proof to that.
Is this the only xenia you're having trouble with?

energizer28

This is the only xenia I have a the moment. It is different from the pink xenia I've had in the past. It looks more of a blue color in my tank for some reason. At the LFS it appeared a dull pink.

florida joe

This may be no consolation but I consider myself just past novice in this hobby and I cannot keep any xenia alive for any length of time

flower

Xenia likes nitrates, if your nitrates are low to nothing it will shrink up and go away. I read that some people keep xenia just to control the nitrate levels.
Tanks that can't keep xenia usually do great with SPS or LPS corals. The dirty or high nitrate tanks do good for soft corals and sponges.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384554/xenia-trouble#post_3369122

Xenia likes nitrates, if your nitrates are low to nothing it will shrink up and go away. I read that some people keep xenia just to control the nitrate levels.
Tanks that can't keep xenia usually do great with SPS or LPS corals. The dirty or high nitrate tanks do good for soft corals and sponges.
excellent flower exactly the good info that we need more of in our posts

energizer28

Wow, interesting thanks! I tested my tank last night and it definitely has 0 nitrates. Recently, I added a nitrate sponge for the first time ever in the 8 years with this tank. Thinking back, the last crop of xenia withered away a couple of months after growing mangrove the refugium. Well, I did away with the refugium (it caused too much of a headache) over a year ago and added a nitrate sponge 2 weeks ago. The xenia will have to wither away if nitrates are a requirement.

chrisb430

LFS told me they like dirty water. (Did not know what that means) saying they like nitrates seems like its good advice!! I always used bio wheels on my tanks and did have a nitrate problem and my xenia did not mind. Now i have been using RODI water, I had to get a new filter not a bio wheel this time and also got a skimmer and they don't look so hot...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb430 http:///forum/thread/384554/xenia-trouble#post_3369266
LFS told me they like dirty water. (Did not know what that means) saying they like nitrates seems like its good advice!! I always used bio wheels on my tanks and did have a nitrate problem and my xenia did not mind. Now i have been using RODI water, I had to get a new filter not a bio wheel this time and also got a skimmer and they don't look so hot...

That's a good sign...test your nitrates, then if they are low as 10 go for some LPS and if you have 5 or below you can get some SPS.