Xenia

clown_nut

What are the diffrent types of Xenia? I just bought a couple of stocks from a local lfs but they look quite a bit diffrent then the ones I see photos of on this forum...they consist of a single little stock with the tips turning into like stars or something...do they aventualy grow into what i am used to seeing on this forum? I do hope so...paid $10 bucks for them..

bigarn

I bought 2 about 4 weeks ago tha sound the same. It's broken off from its baserock and has attached to the reef rock. Once they thicken and spread I think they'll look great! :D

clown_nut

wow the chunk of rock the xenia was on appears to be loaded with bristle worms...the small chunk of rock is loaded with holes and so far i've counted 5 bristles at once..rangeing from several inches to itty bitty.

diddley

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but if it's matting with single stalks, it's anthelia, rather than xenia.

diddley

my understanding is that if each stalk only has one head it is anthelia. xenia has multiple heads off each stalk.

diddley

don't be. anthelia is in the same family of corals as xenia, but is considered heartier. the common names are waving hand coral and clove coral among others. do a search.

overanalyzer

Try and find a local reef club .... xenia is a known "weed" and will grow like one in good conditions. Folks are usually willing to spare a bunch of xenia for next to nothing!!

debbie

I would like to ask a question in regards to my xenia. When I bought it the base was nice and thick. It is open and doing alright in my tank. But... it is not standing as tall as it was in the store. Does this mean that it is getting enough light?
Also why would it be going skinny at the base? Is it just settling in yet? I have had it for 3 months now.
I know when I purchased some single mushrooms they looked horrible now they are multiplying like crazy. One measures 3" across I am sure of it.

bigarn

Is it by a rock? Mine got real skinny at the base just before it it broke off and attached itself to the reef rock. :D