xenia

premnusb

Xenia, if kept under the right conditions, is one of the easiest corals to propogate. It can be fragged or if you have a healthy colony just place some rubble near by and before long the Xenia will begin to spread. You can research more at garf's website or even just do a web search for fragging Xenia I'm sure you'll get some hits.. :yes:

ratpack

xenia will grow in your toilet if you put table salt in it:yes:
xenia in good condition will spread like weed and you will need to trim it weekly. fraging xenia is possible and is very easy.

debbie

It will grow in a toilet????

I could only wish that mine would grow there, I have been struggling with mine for quite some time. My camelback shrimp decided to bonsai it and now there is just a tiny bit of it with four tiny tiny pulsing fingers. Since the devil shrimp is gone I only hope that it will recover for me. I sure would like to have the problem of "to much" of it to deal with.
:cheer:

ratpack

xenia grows like weed. why you think sponge bob is that happy always. magic mushrooms and xenia. you should see that episode

but yeah if you have the right condition it will grow fast. i alwasy add iodine that hel;p a lot. and calcium. what i do to frag xenia is that i put a small rock very close and when it start spreading to it i move it. so from a big frag of xenia i have a big one and a small that will be in the same size in a month. also if you put xenia close to the glass you will have a nice pumping background.

farslayer

I was told that Xenia is good at reducing nitrates, is this true? I'd like to have some in my 46G tank. I have a 110W PC and actinic lighting, is that good enough?

debbie

RatPack, do you think it is more the calcium than the iodine that helps the xenia?
When I bought this from the LFS they told me to add calcium for it to flourish, nothing about iodine. I have heard of people crashing their tanks with iodine use.
I currently don't add anything to my tank, what about phytoplankton woud it do anything for xenia?
For a 10 gal how much calcium would you add?
What about phyto?

daceman89

Originally posted by Debbie
It will grow in a toilet????

I sure would like to have the problem of "to much" of it to deal with.
:cheer:

debbie i dont think you would like that xenia problem, it can become a pain.

nas19320

Originally posted by daceman89
debbie i dont think you would like that xenia problem, it can become a pain.

I agree, take it from someone who is battling it right now.

thangbom

hum... well if xenia is that plentifull!!! y dont people just give free fragz of them away?.. i mean .. if u gonna rid of it.. i know darn shure the fastest way is to give it away.... just trade a peice of lr for your peice w/the xenia... that way u dont lose your rock.... .........
:hilarious

debbie

I sure would have been happy to see this stuff grow at least. But it does not look like anything will happen with it. So maybe it is for the best. Maybe you both are right and it would eventually take over my tank and be a real pain in the butt...

Is there any other type of coral that looks somewhat like the xenia, does not require special lighting and will grow easily?