xenia

taznut

its not growing... i feed DT's phytoplankton once a week and marine snow (that i ordered off here) twice a week... i dont feed as much as directed because it seems like it would be putting way too much into the tank at one time (190g system) so about 2oz of DT's and 9.5 capfuls of the snow every 2 days (and im suppose to turn of the protein skimmer for an hour)... does this sound right or is this too much??? is the the reason that my xenia isn't growing???

taznut

i should add that i have:
branching hammer
frilly and purple shrooms
colt coral
brown star polyps
cabbage leather
everything is looking good but not really growing
amm, trite, trate = 0 (i know trates usually aren't zero, this is the first time mine has ever read zero and i double checked)(i was having trouble algae on sand so i started running phosban, i dont think this would affect the trates but idk)
SG=1.024
temp=79

mr.clownfish

i have 2 kinda of xenia and one kind is spreading like WEED.
what kind do u have? post a pic.
the trick is to have just a little nitrate in the tank. i had some nitrate and it started to spread, but now the nitrate is gone and i use microvert and phytoplex 3 times a week.
oh and it kinda depends on ur lights. what kind are u using?

flower

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3077466
i have 2 kinda of xenia and one kind is spreading like WEED.
what kind do u have? post a pic.
the trick is to have just a little nitrate in the tank. i had some nitrate and it started to spread, but now the nitrate is gone and i use microvert and phytoplex 3 times a week.
oh and it kinda depends on ur lights. what kind are u using?
+1 on the lights..also Xenia likes cooler temps. Another thing to do is set the Xenia on its side and make it climb, it will spred as it climbs upright.

jackri

Yeah if xenia has something to climb up it will go like crazy. Also how long have you had it? I don't feed my Xenia at all but I have halide lighting and it's over taking half my tank -- but it takes awhile for it to get going.

taznut

i have T5 lighting (6 54w bulbs)... had it over a month... i turned it on its side about a week ago hoping this would work and think it is starting to...
and its the pom pom
sorry about the lack of info from the start, usually i do good with that...
i have just heard sooo many people complain that it is growing too fast and mine doesn't grow at all... its doing good, is always open and pulsing but isn't spreading...