Xlarge Desjardini being harrassed by purple tang whos much smaller

tangmaster

I am a newbie with 1.5 years experience. I just (stole) a desjardini tang from a LFS owner. Fish is 5 years old and beautiful, exteremly hardly. Problem is, I have a purple tang who HATES him. He hasn't done any damage but I am ready to FRY this beautiful purple. They are in a 55 reef. Other than a cleaner crew, they are the only inhabitants. I am currently cycling my prized 180. Will the agression subside in the larger tank. Purple has been with me a year...DES has been with 2 months. BTW, I paid only 80 bucks for my DES, I jus couldn't pass it up! I have 2 gorgeous Torch corals and a hammer frag.
Going to hawaii in 2 weeks. Can't wait to see live corals and tangs in the wild. MAUI!!

golfish

Not much you can do...The PT is the boss, adding a tang of the same shape (kind of) to a tiny tank like that is asking for trouble, and that's just what you got. Once you move em things should improve.

tangmaster

thnks golfish for replying so quickly, but my desjardini is xtral large. Twice the size of the purple. I only purchased him because I knew he would be going into the new 180 in a few weeks. But that purple is a monster. The Giant Des just swims on his way oblivious to the purple badnes

tony detroit

What worked for me:
Take them out, kill the lights, rearrange the rock, put each in their own bucket with lid on for a couple hours. Darkness and sleep are key. Let the water get a bit cold so they calm down a bit. Lose a couple degrees.
Let them forget where they came from. I like to think of tangs as gangbangers. If the forget where they came, from their "turf" is all new when they get put in at the same time in a dark tank.
Put them back in the tank, weakest/smallest fish first, strongest last.
This worked great for me. No promises, but I saw it work.