Xm Question

brinkdrum

I have a question. I have not decided whether to go XM 20k or 10k. I have a 55 gal with 2 175w pendants i'm going to use. Can u guys please show me your tanks with just the XMs on with no supplementation. I'd appreciate it, maybe help me make up my mind a bit.

nas19320

I've seen 175w 20k's and they are very dim and 10k XM's alone without supplementation is not all that pretty, its quite yellow. If your not gonna run supplementation then I would either go with 250w 20k's or look at 12 or 14k bulbs in the 175w range.

small time

i run hqi 250 de 20k(left) and 14k(right) with a hqi 150 10k in the middle
the 20k xm's are horible for growth - had green slimmer under 20k for 3 months with no growth when moved under the 14k saw growth within 2 weeks
all three lights on 20k xm left 10k(150 middle)14k hamilton right

shoreliner11

Here's my 20gal reef with a 250w de xm hqi 20k running on a pfo ballast. Its much whiter in person and compared to a mogul based bulb of the same spectrum..its whiter.

shoreliner11

And as far as choosing 10k or 20k...its a debate of color vs. growth. Many corals will have better color under the 20k but far less growth. The opposite is usually true for the 10k. The only advantage with the 10k is that you can supplement with actinic and still maintain the color and growth. Water quality aside in this statement...because water quality has a big part to play in coral color. In my current set up I don't have anywhere to mount actinics but when the time comes I will update my 20k to a 10k bulb with 1 or 2 2ft vho actinics.

ross

Guess i'll post it here too....400w 10k xm with no actinic supplementation.:eek:really yellow!