XXL Hermit Crab

I recently bought a used tank set-up that came with a few fish and inverts one of which was this hermit crab. My question is are Hermit Crabs supposed to get this big? I have never seen one this size before. This is a pic of it in my sons 33 gallon. The shell is the size of a softball. When this thing stands up he can almost reach the top of the tank. He can move the rock around with ease. By the way that tomato clown in the background is about 3 inches.

I think it was something along the lines of...
Holy crap he pulled out my undergravel filter!!!! Get him out of my tank......LOL
Otherwise nothing yet

mmslue79

Wow that baby is big!!!!!! I have never seen one that size in a home aquarium. He does need a good name though......

It's in a fish only tank. Surprisingly he leaves all the fish alone, loves krill, flake brine shrimp blood worms, etc. I want to move it to my 270 with my triggers and such.

I

ivanfj

Yah, Holy "crab"~~~Is that a mexican hermit crab??? I heard they are not reef safe, so I think it would be a good choice to put him with the trigger.

I

ivanfj

It sure does looks like something I've seen in my LFS. That's why I asked. Can someone confirm that plzzzz???

firefish

it looks to me like it might be a strawberry hermit chk this website under inverts then go to crabs then go to strawberry hermit to see if it looks the same i got 2 of them from ***** for 1.69 each and they keep changing shells all the time not that they,re growing must be finicky

goinballde

i had one in my fowlr with 2 triggers and a puffer..he lasted bout 5 months then i came home from work and the triggers and puffers were having a meal..Mine was not near the size of that monster

I have one just like it. I have had it in my FO for 2 years, will occasionally poke at a passing fish, but leaves everything alone. It's a trip to watch. Spends all day climbing over everything, constantly forageing in the gravel, and eats anything and everything. Mine also molts regularly. LOL:jumping:

Mine hasn't molted yet but I did try it in my 90 gallon corner reef. He lasted overnight and I had to take him out. He totally destroyed the tank. There was rock and corals everywhere. That's why he's in the 33 now, soon to be in the 270 If my triggers allow it).

gregvabch

i've seen them that big and bigger at one of the LFS here. they had them labeled as common hermit crabs, if that helps any. i couldn't imagine having him in a tank that size though. i would definetly put him in with the triggers, bet you'd be surprised what happens...